ECU problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rjs4490

ive got a 99 gsr w/ ls tranny...i currently have two ECU''s that i been switchin in an out...one is a p28 tunned ecu with 2 step...other is a regular p72...the p28 revs to 9 GRANDish...the p72 only lets me rev to 7 grand....both ecus seem to start v-tec at around 6,500 to 7,000 rpms...whats the problem...should i be using a different ecu? or could it be my v-tec solenoid??? PLEASE HELP!

so your running an obd1 chipped ecu (p28) on an obd2 gsr motor... what shell is it in? obd1 distributor? stock engine harness? the p72 should rev to 8200 easily, why it isnt is beyond me.

Me, personally, would run the proper ecu since the engine is stock. No need to run an ecu that obviously is crossing over vtec at a much higher point than stock. Stock crossover on a b18c1 is 4800 rpm with the proper ecu (obd1 p72)... maybe you have an issue with your signal from the distributor giving u a false RPM reading? Is the oil level full? Are you using an obd1 b-series distributor?

i bought it done already...a couple people had it before me

So they hacked the distributor to save a few bucks... I hate that. Get the proper distributor and run the stock obd1 p72 ecu and your problems will be solved im sure.

I wouldn't rev it past 8200 rpm. No need to, the engine stops making power there anyway.

Yes, that is what you need. Just look at the harness on the distributor, if it was hacked you would definately know.

Back