Ecu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98HB

I have 98hb that has an obd2 ecu, I bought a 97h22a with a wireing harness that has a conversion harness to obd1 with a (p13) ecu. I want to know if I could use my obd2 ecu from my 98hb and just change the pin outs, or should I just try to trade with someone with a obd2.The trade will come with the conversion harness.

Thanks

P.S. Do I use my civic harness or the h22a harness. :worthy:

Just to add: or should I just do a obdII conversion to obdI.Hasport

Originally posted by 98HB@Feb 2 2003, 10:40 AM
I have 98hb that has an obd2 ecu, I bought a 97h22a with a wireing harness that has a conversion harness to obd1 with a (p13) ecu. I want to know if I could use my obd2 ecu from my 98hb and just change the pin outs, or should I just try to trade with someone with a obd2.The trade will come with the conversion harness.

Thanks

P.S. Do I use my civic harness or the h22a harness. :worthy:

Just to add: or should I just do a obdII conversion to obdI.Hasport

I really could use some help if anybody knows what route I should take.

Thanks

Ok, heres the deal....you can run either an obd1 or obd2 ecu but it has to either be a p72, p13, p5m, etc. I have heard some nightmare stories of peeps trying use their obd2 ecu due to a couple factors. First off, obd2 prelude ecu has an imobilizer in it, unless you get a 96 obd2 ecu. It cost about $100 to take the imobilizer out...(other then the imobilizer no big deal)

2nly, I personally dont know of any places that can chip obd2 ecus....that just something to think about if you ever planned on chippin your ecu...but then again, if you planned on going that far you might as well go hondadata or some stand alone engine management system anyways. I have an extra obd2 ecu from a 99' prelude if you need/interested. You "can" use either wiring harness but I would strongly recommend that you use the prelude harness or your gonna have a horrible time trying to plug shit up. But your simply not gonna be able to use the ECU from your ek. The Civic ecu does not control the secondary butterfly on the intake manifold on the h22. The only ecus that do control the secondaries are prelude ecus and gs-r/type-r ecus (p13, p5m, p72, etc.).

I have also heard very bad things about HASports modified harness jobs. The still leave a lot up to you to wire, so its basically not worth your money. I personally like HCP (www.jdmshit.com) a little better then HASport. Once again, if you are in need of an obd2 p5m prelude ecu (manual trans), i do have extras. Good luck with everything in the mean time... Feel free to post or e-mail me if you have any further questions. xxgrapeapexx@hotmail.com

P.S. getting your hands a pbd1 (p13) ecu is pretty tricky...be ready to spend a pretty penny.....

Originally posted by h22a4eg4me@Feb 3 2003, 03:21 AM
Ok, heres the deal....you can run either an obd1 or obd2 ecu but it has to either be a p72, p13, p5m, etc. I have heard some nightmare stories of peeps trying use their obd2 ecu due to a couple factors. First off, obd2 prelude ecu has an imobilizer in it, unless you get a 96 obd2 ecu. It cost about $100 to take the imobilizer out...(other then the imobilizer no big deal)

2nly, I personally dont know of any places that can chip obd2 ecus....that just something to think about if you ever planned on chippin your ecu...but then again, if you planned on going that far you might as well go hondadata or some stand alone engine management system anyways. I have an extra obd2 ecu from a 99' prelude if you need/interested. You "can" use either wiring harness but I would strongly recommend that you use the prelude harness or your gonna have a horrible time trying to plug shit up. But your simply not gonna be able to use the ECU from your ek. The Civic ecu does not control the secondary butterfly on the intake manifold on the h22. The only ecus that do control the secondaries are prelude ecus and gs-r/type-r ecus (p13, p5m, p72, etc.).

I have also heard very bad things about HASports modified harness jobs. The still leave a lot up to you to wire, so its basically not worth your money. I personally like HCP (www.jdmshit.com) a little better then HASport. Once again, if you are in need of an obd2 p5m prelude ecu (manual trans), i do have extras. Good luck with everything in the mean time... Feel free to post or e-mail me if you have any further questions. xxgrapeapexx@hotmail.com

P.S. getting your hands a pbd1 (p13) ecu is pretty tricky...be ready to spend a pretty penny.....

h22a4eg4me,

I really appreciate you helping me out! I do have a P13 ECU that came with the h22a. So when I remove my ecu from my ek, and install the p13 do I have to do any changes to the wiring past the ecu. Because I sure I cant just plug it in and go or can I. If you have any diagrams on what's involved in plugging up an obdI into a obdII car that would be great.

Thanks again,

98HB

Back