Engine Swap 93' Del Sol S

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lone Star Girl

I need some sage advice :)

I have a 93' Del Sol S (non vtech) with 213k miles on it - it's a D15B7. I have found an excellent (17k miles) D16Z6 vtech JDM motor for a steal of a price. What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not this would be a good swap, how difficult will the work be, and what else will I need besides the long block engine (i.e. an ECU, wiring kit etc.) I'm not a racer. This car just needs to be a zippy daily driver. Right now it's got some serious sluggishness, and a slight fuel smell (I think it's the throttle) - the car has NOT been well taken car of by the previous owners. The D16Z6 motor is $595 + $200 for the install. So looking at those prices, and after I have to buy whatever extras for the swap, would I be better off just doing a straight swap for another D15B7?

Thanks!

the price for the engine/install seems fair...does it include the tranny? the tranny you have SUCKS big ones... if not then you should get a better deal

i think it would be better to swap in a b16 but

What's wrong witht the tranny that I have now? (serious question...not being a smart ass).

My understanding is that I need to go with a D series engine as that is what I have now, and it will make for a much easier install (single overhead cam to single overhead cam rather than going from single to double).

$595.00 for an engine with 17,000 miles on it is too much?!

no.... but the tranny for the d15 is different (economy based) so the gears are long as fuck...my 99hb has that same engine...i think in 2nd gear i'm going like 80mph...lol.....so you need an sohc si tranny (hydro) you can get one cheap

first, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a jdm d16z6. I've never seen one.
second, the us model d16z6 was stopped being made in 1995. so, even if it is a us model, and only has 17k miles on it, its probably been sitting for years. And that's worse than being driven for years IMO.
thrid, 595 is a little pricey. you can easily score a complete change over for 300 bucks. but, the 200 for install is relatively cheap, so maybe it works it self out. I hope this includes the vtec conversion, the 4-wire o2 sensor, the p28 ecu, and so on installed as well.

the d15b7 tranny is REAL long, thus hurting your acceleration, but givng you about 2 or 3 more mpg on the highway. the z6 tranny is closer geared to get you going faster. and with the higher redline of the z6, you're going to be able to do like 80 in 2nd gear on the b7 tranny, vs 60 on the z6 tranny.

lone star = texas right? where abouts? we have a lot of texas members who may be able to either help you out or point you to a reliable shop.

As far as I am aware this is a d16z6 via asap motors but I will re-check to ensure I have it right. I was told it recently came out of Japan with only 17K.

Just so that I understand, the transmission that is in the car now is quite long for the new engine. Currently, the 2nd gear gets to about 35mph (at roughly 3500rpms), but with the different engine you suspect this will change to somewhere in the neighborhood of 80mph?

Yep, I am located in Austin.

3500 rpms dont count :p its all about redline. so you'll be good for 60 at 6000 is... but the z6 will go to 76000 before it rev limits.... so about 75 mph.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 9 2005, 03:15 PM
3500 rpms dont count :p  its all about redline.  so you'll be good for 60 at 6000 is...  but the z6 will go to 76000 before it rev limits....  so about 75 mph.
[post=510303]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey, hey now, no funniness.

So it sounds like I will be fine with the transmission I have then? If I usually change gears from 2nd to 3rd (for example) at around 4000rpms, I may be going 40mph right now, with an available redline of 60mph @ 6000rpms. With the z6, if I kept my current transmission the 40mph @ 4000rpms be the same, but have a higher available redline (75mph @ 76000) ? or when you talk about a long transmission do you mean that I would achieve 40mph with much less revs which means that I definitely lose acceleration :( .

thanks for answering my crappy questions.

Originally posted by Lone Star Girl@Jun 9 2005, 04:36 PM
or when you talk about a long transmission do you mean that I would achieve 40mph with much less revs which means that I definitely lose acceleration :( .

thanks for answering my crappy questions.
[post=510314]Quoted post[/post]​

yup. that part.

think of a bicycle... a 10 speed. if you start on the low ring by the pedals, its easier to accelerate, but it will top out (your legs can't pedal any faster) sooner than the high chain ring, but its harder to get going.

same concept applies here.

Back