Engine Swap After Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StabMeTwice

I just recently installed an FMAX turbo kit in my 2000 civic ex, 1.6 L D16y8 engine, and i am contemplating on getting a 5-speed dropped in it, and a new engine. The guy told me he could get me a b20 race engine+tranny+installation for 4100. Is this a good idea? What 5-speed would be a top choice to look into. Also, im running a T3/t4 hybrid turbo, and i was wondering in general what engine swap would be the most compatible with my car, and would give me the most power? So any ideas on what the best tranny and engine for this setup would be of great help. Thanks.

First of all, getting your car converted to manual is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money. I would consider trying to sell it with the turbo, and buying a manual - THEN putting the built b20 in. I would reccomend an ITR or b16 tranny with an LS 5th gear. ( for a manual). No automatic tranny is worth it.

No engine swap in your current car will be anything spectacular with an automatic. Not to mention you will roast your tranny all the time with a built motor. .02

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 10 2003, 12:39 PM
First of all, getting your car converted to manual is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money. I would consider trying to sell it with the turbo, and buying a manual - THEN putting the built b20 in. I would reccomend an ITR or b16 tranny with an LS 5th gear. ( for a manual). No automatic tranny is worth it.

No engine swap in your current car will be anything spectacular with an automatic. Not to mention you will roast your tranny all the time with a built motor. .02

converting to manual is really not that bad. Secondly don't get a b16 tranny it blows. If you are keeping your turbo LS trans has good gearing but weak ass syncros and a weak differential, GSR is stronger.

I beg to differ that a b16 trans sucks ass, mate it with an LS 5 and you have a good transmission, but obviously behind an ITR or GSR. But it is also less expensive.

No honda automatic transmission will last long with a turbo, even a GSR tranny. And before you go sending someone out to convert to manual, you have to make sure they have the reasources available to do so. You send him to the wrong shop and they will rape him

i would go gsr tranny, i thought i heard someone say that if you have vtec with a ls tranny you would have to shift at 8100(at least) rpms to stay in vtec when racing, now i could be wrong so dont hold me against this.

Originally posted by onefastcivic@Apr 10 2003, 01:13 PM
i would go gsr tranny, i thought i heard someone say that if you have vtec with a ls tranny you would have to shift at 8100(at least) rpms to stay in vtec when racing, now i could be wrong so dont hold me against this.

that doesn't really matter since hes not looking at a vtec engine. as far as the b16 tranny on an LS the gear ratios are just to high, you would redline well before reaching full speed. I have a b18b with a gsr tansmission and on the highway in 5th I'm always at 4500-5800 rpms doing normal speeds

Back