Engine thoughts ? For a swap? 98 civic hb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NewGuy2

I'm currently looking to swap a 98 2 door civic hatch back engine, I guess I'm in the thought of what to swap with. So I'm looking for ideas on what would be good for a day driver that I can keep my AC but yet be a sleeper car. So I guess any knowledge in what would be a good swap. I was looking at a jdm b18c type r vtec with 200hp and lsd tranny but also thinking of building a ls vtec. I haven't yet chose if I want to go with a supercharger or turbo or maybe best of both worlds with twin charged . So I guess any thoughts or ideas on what would be a good motor swap ? That can produce good horse power but still be a street car? Should I keep it fwd? Or go a conversion awd kit?

:disgust:

it's against my better judgement, but i have some time to waste, so I will address this post

So I guess any knowledge in what would be a good swap.
just get a GSR swap

I was looking at a jdm b18c type r vtec with 200hp and lsd tranny but also thinking of building a ls vtec
:no:
you can get an LSD on the GSR swap and still spend less and not have to tear out all of the high compression parts that make a Type R a Type R if you are actually considering forced induction
LS/VTEC builds are not for beginners if you want something that will actually have any chance of making power or being reliable

I haven't yet chose if I want to go with a supercharger or turbo or maybe best of both worlds with twin charged
twin charged :lmao:
if you have any intentions of going forced induction, put a turbo on it and call it a day, though at your power goals (200hp) there is literally 0 reason to bother
hell if you really only want 200hp out of this, then save a shit ton of money and just put a small turbo on your current D series and call it a day.

So I guess any thoughts or ideas on what would be a good motor swap ? That can produce good horse power but still be a street car?
again GSR swap or turbo what you already have

Should I keep it fwd? Or go a conversion awd kit?
LMMFAO!!!! :lmao:
:facepalm:
why dont you just mid mount it and make it a mid engine RWD
seriously there is no "kit" to make a civic AWD
for what you would spend half-assing your way in to an endless project that will never be completed trying to turn a civic in to a twin charged awd car you could literally go buy an imported nissan skyline

if you want AWD and Turbo and over 200hp they already exist all over the place
get a wrx or sti or an evo or an older dsm or an audi or a VW r32 or a focus rs or......

I'm actually going for the upper 500 hp range in the civic and money wise most likely around sinking 30,000-40,000 into it but I want to avoid k series so I have room do add ons.

But I'm also doing a exhaust maybe dual , body kit. Already have everything else done just need a engine swap .

if you are sinking 30-40k into it buy a C6 Corvette ZR1 and shit on 95% you will ever see/run on the road/track/strip and have something actually nice.... this a hopes and dreams convo if you have even 30k to spend you can afford a much nicer and newer and already fast car/better chassis to begin with... good day

lol, everyone has there on money, so do it as you see fit. but not going k series bc you want room for add ons, ,really, with a 40k budget.

Lol idk this stuff has been covered alot and a 40k budget...

Last edited:
I just figure that much of value because a good engine will range 3000-8000$ , then tranny 1500$ , body kit 1200$ , super charger and turbo of decent quality another 3000-6000$ , awd conversion will be about a few grand , I'm also paying someone for labor. I just like the style of the civic and I read about the 7sec awd civic. So all the pieces put together it will cost that much

this is literally a worse idea and bigger waste of money than going to Vegas and blowing 30-40 grand on coke and hookers
but hey... you do you

What do you mean exactly when you say, "I want to avoid K-series so I have room for add-ons?"

When you only have 30-40 grand to play with you have to pinch pennies where you can, gotta make sure there's money for the really important stuff like body kits and dual exhaust

Im tellin ya dog with 40k get a C6 that makes 600+ and a new wardrobe and a new xbox and tv and still have some running money
Screenshot_20180917-134617_eBay.jpg

Back