engine will not rev above 4000 rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 92 honda civic hatch SI with a d16zc swap in it, the engine will not rev past 4ooo rpm and has no power at all to pull a hill, right before 3500 the revs slow down and stops at 4ooo rpm, it is not like a rev limiter it just acts like it will not turn any more, it has no resister box on the injectors and I am running an ecu from a 94 civic ex. it has an exturnal coil with a msd modified dist. cap. does the resistor box need to be hooked up on the injectors, there stock. I tried swapping the dist. and the ecu but still the same thing happend. the timming is right accourding to the repair manual.

is there a check engine light ??
sounds like you might be in limp mode

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 7 2005, 10:38 PM
[post=522424]Quoted post[/post]​

yes for the o2 but I didnt think limp mode did that

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 7 2005, 10:38 PM
[post=522424]Quoted post[/post]​

how do I clear it

fix what ever is wrong - or unplug neg for 3 minutes or so - should reset the ecu and persay nothings broken - it will not relight !

Friend of mine had issues with his ecu and it would do that.. is your ECU chipped? Was it an auto ecu that was "converted" to manual?

Originally posted by erikespo@Jul 8 2005, 03:12 PM
Friend of mine had issues with his ecu and it would do that.. is your ECU chipped? Was it an auto ecu that was "converted" to manual?
[post=522811]Quoted post[/post]​

no it is stock manual p28, but there is a thicker brown wire coming out of the harness but there is nowere for it to go

I had a similar problem with my B20 in my 1992 VX Hatch. Turned out to be that some of the fuel injector plugs where not plugged in all the way. Just check all your injector plugs and make sure there on the injectors good.

Well it sounds like limp mode to me...maybe bad O2 sensor?

Ive heard of O2 sensor putting a care into limp mode, but not on OBD1, thats just wierd.

Check you MAP and TPS sensor plugs. Might of switched the two by mistake. This is usually a problem cause they are both the same plug shape.

i have a hatch thats in the same boat i take off and i have to shift a 4,000 rpm whats causing that to happen ??

HodacivicSi3, did it used to go above 4000? dumb questions? ... can't you set the rev limit on the msd ... some of these things are set up for V8; & so on a I4 you need to double the setting. Limp mode thorugh the msd? The limp mode on my EK just means less fuel economy & potential output; no rev limits, nothing else. I'd start with a reset as suggested. Then check you ignition, rev limit, spark, grounding. Also, I believe VTEC will not kick in under low oil pressure, so you should look into that, too. Best a luck.

Back