f***k the state of Virginia

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
this is gonna be kinda long, so here goes:

i get this letter today in the mail from the town i lived in in Virginia saying that i would not be able to register any vehicle there because of back taxes owed in 2006. i call the number on the letter and explain to them i havent lived in Virginia for a year-and-a-half so why would do i need to owe them money? the lady explains to me they get a list from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles every month of people arent allowed to register their vehicles for whatever reason. i said thats fine and ask her what do i need to do to prove that i havent lived in Virginia for that period and she said that i would have to have a copy of personal property taxes i paid in 2006 in Indiana on the vehicle in question (my 1995 Ford Ranger Splash) and mail it to them. i said no sweat and explain to her about how personal property taxes are done at the same time you register car in Indiana. she said thats fine and to mail them a copy. cool. she then said i need to call the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. heres where the fun starts.

after waiting for damn near eterenity on hold to speak to someone at the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, i finally get some guy and tell him the situation. he looks me up in the computer and says that my license is suspended in Virginia for no proof of insurance when i lived there and i had the truck registered there. i told him i havent had a Virginia license in a long time and that i have a valid Indiana license but i did infact have the truck registered there but i had an Indiana license. i never switched my license over because i wasnt aware i had to. it was like talking to a brick wall trying to explain to him that. i had insurance on the date he mentioned but i couldnt find any when i was talking to him on the phone. i know i did. hell, how was able to get plates for my truck without insurance???? in most states you have to insurance to get license plates. i also told him that i never ever received a letter stating my license was suspended because of it. i honestly didnt. anyways, so he tells me to get a copy of my insurance and send it to them. i said fine and i will have it to them when i come in March for a trip im planning. after i got off the phone with him, i called my insurance company and they are mailing me proof of insurance from 2005 to 2006 to be on the safe side. you know how states can be when it comes to that stuff.

im just so damn angry right now at the state of Virginia. i wanted to put my fist thru a wall thats how angry i got after talking to that guy and it takes alot for me to get angry. he just wouldnt listen to me one bit

thats rough. i bet steve will have some good input here :) hes got some nasty insurance stories :(

hopefully it all works out for you. :)

The dmv just plain sucks. They made me get my NC drivers license this month, even though I plan on moving back to NY in a couple of months anyway, they don't care. I suppose thats the law though.
Anyway, I went to the dmv down here for the first time, the one in Cary is part of the train station, wierd. I stood in line for an hour and someone finally came around to look at peoples papers and told me I had to come back with another. Took them 45 mins to wait on one person.
Second time I waited right until the written test cutoff and had to go back again, because they shut thier computers right off at 5pm. Another 2.5 hours
Third time was a charm, got my nc drivers license, after another 3.5 hours of waiting and doing the test. So $35 later, seven hours of my life wasted, I have a license I'm going to use for two more months.

<< VA native.
This state definitly blows when it comes to that shit. My license has been suspended every fuckin' time I sold a car. Sold my 96 civic and they tryed to charge me $500 because I didn't have insurance on a car that was registered to someone else. They dropped that but I still had to pay the re-instatement fee ( $35 ). My girl sells me her '88 civic and they try to do the same thing to her and argued with ME when I brought proof that I own3d the car and had it tagged/insured/regisitered. Sold that car and they did it again so I went psycho on the rude ass teller until they dropped everything. The county ( Henrico) I live in likes to leave cars on my account that I don't own anymore even after my registration fees are paid up. So I end up having to drive up to the police station/goverment offices to straighten it out or pay taxes to get a window decal for something I don't have. They won't even let you keep your tags anymore. Luckily though they are switching over to this big ass county sticker that looks like an Italian flag that only has to be changed every five years.

As far as the " how to get tags with out insurance" is easy. If you get a car tagged at a VA DMV, (NOT a dealership) all you have to do is check the box that says " I verify that I have liability insurance or its eqivulent....) box. They never ask for proof becuase most people do it over the phone. They normally check about 2-3 months after that. I know becuase I've had to get tags for an un-insured car so I could park it in my yard with out the county man giving me a $2500 inopperable vehicle fine, another reason why VA sucks. You can't even sit a fuckin' car on your property with out up-to-date tags. They won't let you cover it either.

I feel your pain man, except the fact you have to deal with it from half way across the country. Good luck dude.

cheese; You said Cary? i think I 've been to that one when I lived in NC. You walk in and the place is barely bigger then a mens restroom and the majority of the line is in the hallway of the train station? I think its right down the street form the police station. Maybe I.m thinking of Statesville.

Last edited:
cheese; You said Cary? i think I 've been to that one when I lived in NC. You walk in and the place is barely bigger then a mens restroom and the majority of the line is in the hallway of the train station? I think its right down the street form the police station. Maybe I.m thinking of Statesville.

Yep, thats the one. You have to walk through the train station waiting area to get to it. I hope I never have to goto that place again!

My last insurance thing cost me my Firebird Formula, my Supra (I had to give it to Airjockie) and I had to sell my Civic to my dad. Just to get my licence back. I had to register my cars in Maine for 5 years after that. I finally worked up enough money to register a car in 2004. Cost me $3000 to register the CRX.

Overall, owning more cars than the DMV could handle (That's it! I had 6 cars, I dropped the insurance on all but 2 for the season (Like I did every year) and that year their new software flagged me as "No longer driving" because .. and I quote "We have heard of some people owning two cars, but never 5!" and they laughed.

It cost me about $12,000.

Back