First swap 90 Civic DX HB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tremolite

I am relatively new to cars in general, I have always been able to work on them but the more technical stuff I hadn't had much interest in until recently. I want to swap something along the lines of a B15/B16 but if I an throwing money at it I might as well get something worthwhile. The car itself needs a bit of work(body is straight, needs a good bit of cosmetic work) but I figured I might as well find something to spend my time on, looks to be an interesting hobby and I am always willing to further my knowledge.

I have a few questions.

1) What (in your opinion) would be the best swap for the power/money? I don't want to get something too cheap(or expensive for that matter) and regret it later when it doesn't have enough power.

2) What do I need to complete the swap? I have a feeling that I should swap just about everything(tranny, engine etc.) kind of sick of what I have now, 1st and 2nd I can get some good speed going but if it's screaming in 2nd it hates 3rd and 4th and 4th seems really short I feel like I am pushing it going 70mph.

3) Assuming I pick up a JDM engine, would Ebay be a good source if I can find a seller with good reviews? I want to make sure I do my best to do it right, the first time.

4) Once I pick up the engine are there any recommended add-ons to boost the power a bit? Forced Induction etc. Also, should I worry about cosmetics last, or work on some of that and then work on the swap?

Thank you for looking, any help is much appreciated.

So this would most likely be my best choice as far as my first swap goes? Would the LSD tranny be worth the upgrade? I think it gets me most of what I need so it looks like a good thing to start with. I had looked through their site but I wasn't sure what was considered reputable within the community.

Thank you :)

That one's not a bad choice at all, and yes- the LSD transmission is absolutely worth the upgrade. Putting all your power down through two wheels is much better than a one wheel burnout any time you don't have perfect traction (never).

I've bought from HMotors- they're considered one of the best. No complaints here- and loved their customer service before and after the sale.

if your car is the 4-speed model, you don't have a DX but instead have a STD model - if it is the STD, you would also need to swap out the front knuckles/hubs for ones from a DX/LX/Si/EX in order to use the larger Integra type axles, with any B-series engine/transmission swap

if your car is the 4-speed model, you don't have a DX but instead have a STD model - if it is the STD, you would also need to swap out the front knuckles/hubs for ones from a DX/LX/Si/EX in order to use the larger Integra type axles, with any B-series engine/transmission swap

You are right, my mistake. The kit I am looking at @ hmotors (B16B EK TYPE R) comes with

- Motor
- LSD Hydraulic Tranny (S4C)
- ECU (PCT)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

So I will need to go to a junkyard and pull knuckles/hubs off of a DX/LX/Si/EX of around the same year? Really appreciate the advice.

You are right, my mistake. The kit I am looking at @ hmotors (B16B EK TYPE R) comes with

- Motor
- LSD Hydraulic Tranny (S4C)
- ECU (PCT)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

So I will need to go to a junkyard and pull knuckles/hubs off of a DX/LX/Si/EX of around the same year? Really appreciate the advice.
you will need the knuckles/hubs from any 88-91 CRX DX or Si model or any 88-91 Civic DX, LX or Si model or 90-91 Civic EX model - the 90-91 Civic EX uses the larger diameter brakes, which is your best option, if you can find them

you will need to convert the wiring in your car from DPFI to MPFI

the B16B engine you are looking at is OBD2 which means you will need an OBD0 to OBD2 ECU jumper harness, like this:

Rywire : OBD0 to OBD2a ECU Conversion Harness - $165.00

you will need an aftermarket mount kit for the B16 with hydraulic transmission, like this:

EFB2

and you will need the B-series clutch conversion lever assembly, like this:

EFBHCL

you will need to modify the shift linkage to fit

you will need to buy adapters for the OBD0 to OBD2 distributor and alternator connectors or re-pin them yourself

you will also need an exhaust header and some exhaust work

Last edited:
Back