Ford Ranger kicking my ass

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
first off, does anyone know a ford varient of this website?

i am looking for people knowledgable in ford for their point of view...

the story goes like this...
friends had a ranger, it sat for 2 years, we tried to get it running for his father...

its a 1989 ranger with the 2.3 liter, 4 cyl, 8 spark plugs, no cat...

so we had no spark on one side, other side had spark...
then we lost alls park, numerous parts changed/replaced etc etc
bought another ranger for the sensors on the motor...
junked the rest of that ranger...

decided maybe it was the wire harness, found another ranger with a popped motor with a VERY clean body for cheap, bought it

put the 2.3 motor into the new ranger, and now no spark on either side, and no fuel pressure...

changed the DIS box, changed coil packs, changed MAP, trying to change anything and everything but its something we're missing or overlooking...

no distributor, just a crank sensor, the DIS box, and 2 coil packs, one for each side...

lmao, ford does...

it had something to do with emissions...
burns on power and exhaust stroke, to completely burn the fuel and lower co2 emissions or some shit...

i've been searching for a while now, all the forums have a shit load of topics like this:

RANGER, NO FUEL, NO SPARK, NO START

but none of them have answers...

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 8 2005, 09:26 AM
Who the hell puts 8 plugs in an engine with 4 cylinders?
[post=509609]Quoted post[/post]​

Nissan does too- back with their NAP-Z engines... and Mercedes Benz uses two plugs per cylinder on quite a few of their engines- and the Wankel uses two plugs per rotor chamber. :p

did you look on rangerpowersports.com? hell if push comes to shove, throw a 5.0L v8 in that bitch and go have fun

yea, we've been talking about a carburated 302 for some time now...

this truck will run, it might be a v8 but it WILL run
lol

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 9 2005, 09:08 AM
did you look on rangerpowersports.com? hell if push comes to shove, throw a 5.0L v8 in that bitch and go have fun 

yea, we've been talking about a carburated 302 for some time now...

this truck will run, it might be a v8 but it WILL run
lol
[post=510135]Quoted post[/post]​

carbed fivers are real cheap. winnies are almost as cheap too - saw a complete winnie and auto trans in the local shopper paper for 300 bucks.

Classic NAPS-Z symptoms:

In the distributor is a flip-flop for the two coils, and that sticks / breaks. I used to lose the exhaust side of my 200SXs all the time.

Dual Ignition is usually used to burn the exhaust stroke as well as the power stroke. It works well too, when it works.

I had an 1986 Ford Ranger with a similar problem. It turned out to be a bad ground on the passanger side. Good luck bud.

In the distributor is a flip-flop for the two coils, and that sticks / breaks. I used to lose the exhaust side of my 200SXs all the time.

unfortunately this is a distributor-less system, fucking blows

I had an 1986 Ford Ranger with a similar problem. It turned out to be a bad ground on the passanger side. Good luck bud.

where about was the ground? maybe i'm missing one...?

i thought maybe there was a bad ground so i used jumper cables to ground the shit out of the motor... still nothing
lol

went to auto zone and got the code reader for 30 bucks lastnight, hopefully that will shed some light on the issue, but i doubt it...

I couldn't tell where it should have been it was def ghetto rigged. If you were facing the engine in front of the truck, it was on your left coming off the front of the motor

Back