Found another ka

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

I found an automatic 240 in a junkyard. they want to sell the motor for 400. i was supposed to go hear it run today but it's raining and i don't feel like swimming through 3 feet of mud. i saw under the valve cover yesterday and it all looks clean and well lubed. its in the yard for a busted rear quarter. i was looking for a blown out motor though. i want to rebuild it with better pistons, etc. i don't know if i want to waste 400 bucks on a motor that i'll tear apart when someone else might just need a replacement motor

does anyone think it would be worthwhile to swap the new motor in, rebuild mine and then swap them again and sell the motor back? it seems like a lot of work, but there would be no wiring changes, and i could save some cash

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Mar 28 2004, 06:37 PM
For $700 ill sell you a KA24DE from an Altima? will it interchange?

altime is FWD i believe.

depends on your years. 90-91 is sohc and 92+ is dohc. never get the sohc, its a tardcart of electrical problems. :angry: ive actually got one sitting in my backyard. it drifted great last week, and it poured as well. ugh.

Originally posted by TurboMirage+Apr 3 2004, 11:09 PM-->
@Mar 28 2004, 06:37 PM
For $700 ill sell you a KA24DE from an Altima? will it interchange?

altime is FWD i believe.

depends on your years. 90-91 is sohc and 92+ is dohc. never get the sohc, its a tardcart of electrical problems. :angry: ive actually got one sitting in my backyard. it drifted great last week, and it poured as well. ugh.

Yes, the Altima is front wheel drive.

The 89-90 240SX was SOHC KA24E, and 91+ was DOHC KA24DE.

I would buy the scarp yard motor, rebuilt that, and then swap over all necesary components to get her running.

KA24DET :thumbsup: peeps have great results with em if not planning on shoving 500rwhp

[threadjack]

Dman, my sig is way cooler than yours. :p :D
jj, i havent seen that 240 one before, its pretty good.

[/threadjack]

yeah dude, ive been on here since the old board.

as soon as i can get someone to buy my teg ill have the 240 and be getting ass out sideways.

for the record- smokey, there's no Dash in the tial cluster that actually says that.

picture%20093.jpg

i think it has something to do with the hatch. since the coupes were just S13's its.

plus most hatches were 180SX's so i think its a different model, but i could be wrong.

Originally posted by Nissantech.gone
S13 101: A Primer on the S13 chassis

There were several differnt variants of the S13 chassis in Japan and Australia. This article will help you to decipher the birds and bees... or is it, the Q's and the K's?

There were two main divisions of the S13:

* S13: 1988- mid 1990 (which we shall call for this article Version 1)
* PS13: mid 1990-1993 (which we shall call for this article Version 2)

Within these divisions, there were two models:

* 180sx, or the USA Fast Back
* Silvia, or the USA Coupe

The 180sx version is identical to the Silvia version of the car in everyway, except that the body is a hatch style instead of a coupe. Nissan denoted this by giving the 180sx chassis an "R" designation. Therefore, RPS13 denotes a Version 2 Fast Back and S13 denotes Version 1 Coupe. Due to the two different Versions, there are also two different engines that came out in each:

* 1988 - 1990.5: 1809cc CA18DE(T) Engine
* 1990.5 - 1994: 1998cc SR20DE(T) Engine

The T is in parenthesis for a reason. Some models were NOT turbocharged.

If that wasn't enough for you, there are even more breakdowns based on special options.
Silvia

* J's - Base model Silvia
* Q's - Middle of the line model Silvia. Full power windows, doors, etc. Non-turbo (CA18DE/SR20DE powered). Optional LSD
* K's - Top of the line, turbocharged Silvia. Same power features, etc as the Q's, but came with the turbo variety of the motor. Almost all K's came with LSD's, and it appears to have been a factory-installed part rather than an option.

In addition to the 3 main models, there were two special editions created. First is the Club Series, which would be called a Club K's for example. I have no solid information on what the "Club" spec adds. There are also rumors of an R's and A's series line being produced. However, there is no proof that they even exist, and thus, it is best to rule them out as ever being made as a special edition trim package.
180SX

* Type I
* Type II

As for what is what, I have no information on this. It appears that nearly all the 180sx's came turbo charged, so perhaps, it can best be compared to a Silvia J's for Type I, and a Silvia K's for Type II, but that is merely my speculation and is not a proven fact.
4 Wheel Steering

Regarded as probably the worst idea in my eyes, several of the early 90s Nissans, Hondas, and Mistubishi/DSM cars were released with four wheel steering. Nissan called it HICAS (HI Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension). HICAS II was released as an option along the CA18-powered Version 1 models, and SuperHICAS was released along with Version 2 SR20-powered models. If at all possible, it is my opinion to avoid this feature. Parts are super expensive, adds almost 20KG of weight to the car, and they are not very reliable.

That just about covers the important stuff from the S13 chassis. There were other options like seats, heads-up display, and so forth that I really don't think are worth mentioning in this article. This is aimed at getting everyone familiar with the terminology of the terms used to define something. So now, when someone posts on our fourms a question such as, "my RPS13 w/ HICAS is having a problem" you know what they are saying.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 6 2004, 09:52 PM
[threadjack]

Dman, my sig is way cooler than yours. :p :D
jj, i havent seen that 240 one before, its pretty good.

[/threadjack]

haha i made it myself, just wanted to show that i'd rather turbo the ka than spend cash on 180sx tails

i was messin around under the hood, tryin to fix the idle and noticed that the id plate on the firewall said it's an rms13 no sure what the m means though

Back