Another KR-X... This time a full frame-up resto!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, at this point... finding another GOOD body, getting it down this far, either making new, or transferring the roll bar over to it, and so forth.... no, it would not be 'cheaper' to find a cleaner body.

Besides, the risk is always there of the 'next' body being just as bad, and even more $$$ down the drain. We now know exactly what we have, and that there is nothing hiding anywhere... everything is now out in the open, and very fixable. It'll get fixed right, and be even better than new in the end this way.

Its kinda like digging up old bones, you find all kinds of history when you do that I guess?

Which is also why this cars nick-name is "Blues Clues"... hehe.

Well, in defense of the previous body guy: He did a great job. My NX was like that too - the body looked great because every panel was at one point, replaced !

The bad part is, if there is any mal-alignment, you can't re-align ! That would make all of the other guy's work be off. So you have to take his flaws as a permanent part of the car.

I'm sure it will look good, and pass for 100 points at all of it's shows in the future. There are no Bondo fillings, right ? Holes suck, but if the bondo is applied as it should be, can't fault em there :)

Anyway man, This will still the creme de la creme when you're done.

"Yeah, it can be, and it's still considered a show car if it's used properly or to acheive a specific body line or gap. In many cars that have hand-formed panels, there is no way around it. It's still acceptable by judges, and there is no worry with a car of this detail - at any show, now or in the future"

Editted for consistency.

wtf? lol...

i don't know what thats all about... In certain instances, bondo can be an appropriate fix... however, the goal should ALWAYS be to do what is possible first without the use of bondo. I'm not a big fan of bondo personally, but a car like this, or any major project done 100% with absolutely no bondo or filler will EASILY be over $100k, simply due to the time it would take to straighten out every single imperfection in the body. This project just is not going to go that deep, so yea, it will have bondo on it... however, not nearly as much as it once had on it.

Having said that, i also say that i don't know what that argument is about between Steve and Scrapin, i don't really give two rats asses either... you guys keep that shit to your own thread somewhere else, or in PMs. Please don't bring it in here.

Some cars come from the factory with a fair amount of bondo...and looking at the color of that bondo...it's Honda factory Bondo. When I did some grinding and sanding to my stock Civic and the CRX I have, I have hit the same bondo in pretty much the same areas that are shown in the pics. And my 87 CRX si has rot on the driver side, but the passenger side rear quarter still looks mint. Even when I stripped parts of my old 280ZX that I had, in areas...there was bondo from the factory, and the cool part was there was a lot of Kanji written on the body written in markers showing the imperfects, and bondo was next to them.

Quoted post[/post]]
wtf? lol...

i don't know what thats all about... In certain instances, bondo can be an appropriate fix... however, the goal should ALWAYS be to do what is possible first without the use of bondo. I'm not a big fan of bondo personally, but a car like this, or any major project done 100% with absolutely no bondo or filler will EASILY be over $100k, simply due to the time it would take to straighten out every single imperfection in the body. This project just is not going to go that deep, so yea, it will have bondo on it... however, not nearly as much as it once had on it.

Having said that, i also say that i don't know what that argument is about between Steve and Scrapin, i don't really give two rats asses either... you guys keep that shit to your own thread somewhere else, or in PMs. Please don't bring it in here.
:werd: keep the shit to yourselves.

BTW nice car. my friend is getting ready to do a KRX ( i hate the way that sounds, but i guess thats what everyones callin them now), not anywhere near on the level you are, but it should be a fun car when its done.

AJ... that isn't factory bondo no matter what the color. I've got the horribly repaired original drivers door (that we aren't using) that was re-skinned with a flux-core welder to prove drivers-side damage... and that right rear 1/4 has most certainly not been replaced by Honda.

Senate: Hey, as long as ith as a K in it, thats all that matters... hehe. And saying "KRX" is soooooo much easier and cleaner than saying "CRX with a K-whatever swap" :p

Well, I'll start this post off by giving you a big, well, deserved pat on the back.

The work that your shop is capable of, is absolutely amazing. As its already been noted, there's not many places left in the *WORLD* that are capable of this sort of thing. The passion that comes through in your post, would appear to me, be the passion that allowed you to build such a shop and such a successful living. You answered wreckedracing's question on how the shop came to life without even needing words - it obviously came to life through great hard work and dedication and it shows.

Now onto the car. I'm sure at this stage in your life, you're an expert when it comes to all things car. I think that you had to have an idea that something was up with the rear of the car, before it was media blasted. I'm not bodyshop expert, but when I came upon this thread and read the first description and viewed the first pictures, I somehow knew that the car had to have hidden demons. If this was a Northeast car, or a car that has seen snow and salt, it had to be rusted. Its my hypothesis that not one honda rear quarterpanel from this era, up until about 1995, survived. Its just impossible.

Although I think as someone else said, its a testament to the prior bodyshop's work that you couldn't find these gremlins until the car was completely blasted down. Maybe they just slapped so much mud and shit onto the car that it was covered, but it still was hard to find the seams on the new quarterpanel. The work on the rockerpanel upfront obviously looks subpar and I think will probably prove to be more of a pain than the cutting and welding of two new rear quarterpanels into the unibody frame. You guys have the experience and the skill that the cutting and welding should prove to be fairly routine and easy for you, even if the car is a unibody.

Onto the owner of the car. He obviously has a love for hondas or just too much money. Whatever the case may be, lucky him. At this point in the game, I don't understand why his engine work is so mild if he's already spending and pumping so much money into the car. OEM replacement stuff? Ha, from stainless steel brake lines to carbon fiber valve carbons and custom bezzled dash to a completely ported, polished, and built engine should be going into this car. Overbored and sleezed engine, oversized pistons, better rings, ported and polished head, upgraded valve train, racing radiator, etc. I can't see this car not seeing a complete N/A crate motor along with a custom turbocharger kit. There's just too much money into the thing, to not go for the throat and get everything.

Heck, at this point, if *I* were the owner, I'd be doing a RWD or AWD conversion so the car could compete with porsche's and exotics - by the time its completed, its going to be on the price level of other exotics.

Well, I'll start this post off by giving you a big, well, deserved pat on the back.

The work that your shop is capable of, is absolutely amazing. As its already been noted, there's not many places left in the *WORLD* that are capable of this sort of thing. The passion that comes through in your post, would appear to me, be the passion that allowed you to build such a shop and such a successful living. You answered wreckedracing's question on how the shop came to life without even needing words - it obviously came to life through great hard work and dedication and it shows.

Thank you very much for your great words here... yes, it does take a certain level of passion to be able to even -want- to do a project like this. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be involved with such a detailed and 'deep' project, and i am thankful that the owner of the car chose to come to me for this work.

I think that you had to have an idea that something was up with the rear of the car, before it was media blasted. I'm not bodyshop expert, but when I came upon this thread and read the first description and viewed the first pictures, I somehow knew that the car had to have hidden demons. If this was a Northeast car, or a car that has seen snow and salt, it had to be rusted. Its my hypothesis that not one honda rear quarterpanel from this era, up until about 1995, survived. Its just impossible.

LoL.... there have been SOME 1/4 panels that survived... hehe. Actually, we knew going into the project what demons there were. I'm presenting stuff in a 'as we go' manner, but for instance, the first clue of something wrong with the drivers-side was that it had an aftermarket fender on it, not a factory. Next clue was the very crappy door-skin replacement. Third, was of course when we hit it with a DA sander, and noticed that bondo was under everything :p As for the passenger side, we didn't know how extensive a repair was done of there, but we knew that something had been done. The inside sill of the rear hatch had a 'smoothed out' section where they used filler and whatever to cover the new seam they made when they replaced the 1/4.

So yes, we knew it had inner demons... but onward we pressed, regardless. The one thing that was not known, was the extent of the A-pillar damage... thats still an 'unknown' of sorts.

Maybe they just slapped so much mud and shit onto the car that it was covered, but it still was hard to find the seams on the new quarterpanel.

Yes.... it IS possible to polish a turd :wink:

Onto the owner of the car. He obviously has a love for hondas or just too much money. Whatever the case may be, lucky him.

He has a definite love for Honda's, and CRXs mainly... of course it does help to have the finances to do such work, so its a little bit of both. Definitely the MOST deserving individual i know of to have this done. I'm proud to be able to help him accomplish this dream.

At this point in the game, I don't understand why his engine work is so mild if he's already spending and pumping so much money into the car.........completely ported, polished, and built engine should be going into this car. Overbored and sleezed engine, oversized pistons, better rings, ported and polished head, upgraded valve train, racing radiator, etc. I can't see this car not seeing a complete N/A crate motor along with a custom turbocharger kit.

I understand the thought, but i'm not exactly sure where you think the motor is going to be "mild"... hehe. Yes, it'll be N/A... Yes, it'll be running on pump gas, but that is for practicality purposes, not because he wants to keep it mild. The engine is a TSX K24 being completely (and i mean COMPLETELY) redone by Brad at RLZ Engineering in NC (AEBS sleeves, overbore, complete headwork, etc) It'll be running 54mm Hayward ITBs, and have a very very sick exhaust setup, using a Burns ultra-lightweight muffler.

I dunno whats mild about that, but if thats mild, i'd be scared to see what "not-so-mild" is... hehe.

OEM replacement stuff? Ha, from stainless steel brake lines to carbon fiber valve carbons and custom bezzled dash to

How about a complete carbon fiber overlay for the dash, a carbon fiber center console, custom seats, other random custom interior items, UKDM VTi Gauge Cluster, Momo steering wheel, blah, blah, blah... it will have stainless lines going from the OEM hard-lines to the brake calipers... the front brakes are complete aftermarket Wilwood components...

There's just too much money into the thing, to not go for the throat and get everything.

Well, just remember, the owner wants a $40,000 CRX, NOT a $140,000 CRX :wink:

Heck, at this point, if *I* were the owner, I'd be doing a RWD or AWD conversion so the car could compete with porsche's and exotics - by the time its completed, its going to be on the price level of other exotics.

And not to worry, with what is being done to it motor-wise, it'll definitely be able to run with them anyway, without the rwd/awd conversion :wink:

Quoted post[/post]]
I understand the thought, but i'm not exactly sure where you think the motor is going to be "mild"... hehe. Yes, it'll be N/A... Yes, it'll be running on pump gas, but that is for practicality purposes, not because he wants to keep it mild. The engine is a TSX K24 being completely (and i mean COMPLETELY) redone by Brad at RLZ Engineering in NC (AEBS sleeves, overbore, complete headwork, etc) It'll be running 54mm Hayward ITBs, and have a very very sick exhaust setup, using a Burns ultra-lightweight muffler.

I dunno whats mild about that, but if thats mild, i'd be scared to see what "not-so-mild" is... hehe.

Thats pretty hardcore, but the way I see it - whats better than a built and turbo'd 4 cylinder. Thats basically the best performance beast that you're going to see, but if he's keeping it N/A.

How about a complete carbon fiber overlay for the dash, a carbon fiber center console, custom seats, other random custom interior items, UKDM VTi Gauge Cluster, Momo steering wheel, blah, blah, blah... it will have stainless lines going from the OEM hard-lines to the brake calipers... the front brakes are complete aftermarket Wilwood components...

Yeah, I forgot you posted the picture of the 15's and Wildwood BBK. I suppose he's not going with heavy, cheap, rotors and pads either.

I'm glad to hear that the entire interior will be custom. I figured so much as gauges and seats, but yeah I have a feeling that it will be custom and like new - which is great.

Well, just remember, the owner wants a $40,000 CRX, NOT a $140,000 CRX :wink:
Pish posh, sign him up for the gt30r custom turbo kit and tell him, I said it was a good idea. :p

And not to worry, with what is being done to it motor-wise, it'll definitely be able to run with them anyway, without the rwd/awd conversion :wink:

Bleh. It won't be able to compete on the same level with wrong wheel drive. I really would like to see something so extensive make the swap and make it into a true sports car.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thats pretty hardcore, but the way I see it - whats better than a built and turbo'd 4 cylinder. Thats basically the best performance beast that you're going to see, but if he's keeping it N/A.

Bleh. It won't be able to compete on the same level with wrong wheel drive. I really would like to see something so extensive make the swap and make it into a true sports car.

You have either never heard of RLZ, or completely underestimate well built, well tuned naturally aspirated engines, of which Brad is the master. This thing will be a beast. Burns = Yum

Keep up the good work. If I had that kind of cash to drop into a crx, I probably would.

I still don't understand why you guys didn't start off with a better chassis. i mean, it could have been free for all i know, but paying 1500 for a clean shell would have saved in the long run. i love a crx myself and would have spent a little more time finding a straight body. still though, props on the build!!!

Good luck finding a TRUE clean shell for $1500... Then add the cost of the cage that was already there...

Remember... Normal sanding will never unveil stuff like this... This is full frame.

:worthy: I say good job so far bondo or not save that rex its going to look AWESOME when done I will keep an eye on this thread for sure for the progress of it.Keep it up man.

Back