From CRV onto Rav4

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Car purchase has expanded from CRV to other models due to current honda turbo issue. Specifically some owners are reporting gas in the oil pan, to the tune of draining 7 quarts when doing an oil change.
Injectors are either leaking, or the thing is running so rich its washing down the cylinder walls.
Local dealers are denying any problems, but the turbo4's in china are currently under recall, and perhaps there is a ban from selling them right now, depending on what you read/believe online.

Drove the CX5 this weekend, sporty yes. Feels sort of like a cockpit when driving, similar to BMW X1/X3. Feels sort of claustrophobic to me. Dealer experience was less than wonderful.
I can see why people like them, but sporty/speedy and stiff suspension isn't really what I'm after right now. Looking for 7-10 year hold with reliability and resale, as well as safety and safety features.

Leaning pretty hard towards the 2019.
25 more hp, 8 speed instead of 6 speed auto, 1/2" better ground clearance, about 5mpg additional combined (estimated).

So here's the 2018 Rav4
d94652c63702e94150edd2e8d3ff7ea3x.jpg

vs the 2019 Rav4
2019-Toyota-RAV4-XLE-Silver-Sky-Metallic-18.jpg

Opinions?

Both are pretty damn ugly... the 2019 is less ugly though... so if that's what you are looking for I'd go with the 19

Toyota shopping is pretty easy. I can give you a couple dealers that will price match. If you're willing to travel somewhere and drive it back, you can probably save $3,000-$5,000. I saved $4,500 on a truck with more OEM options by being ready to buy the moment I saw what I wanted and being willing to go to Texas and drive it back.

If you're patient, you can probably get that 2019 for the cost of the 2018.

there's patient, and then there's REALLY patient.
my tacoma is in good shape, only 95k miles, runs and drives good. I got all the time in the world.
I am not sure I will beat these year end incentives until December 2019 on the 2019 model. Local dealers have an excess of the 2018's, which I think is why the 2019 Rav4 are not coming until late december or maybe january.
I'm currently seeing about 2500-3000 off MSRP as the advertised prices on the 2018.

Ace in the hole - one client is actually a partner/owner of a local Toyota franchise.
Once I have competitive offers from a couple other Toyota shops, I'm going to e-mail the client to see if he wants a stab at it.
Might not work out well if he can't beat it (business wise), but I figure I need to give him a shot at my money.

To talk numbers, XLE AWD MSRP is about 30k, current internet pricing is listed about $27k, and the local truecar toyota shop came in $500 lower than internet.
Comparing to CRV I can get the 2018 CRV for about $27k with heated seats and remote start (standard on the EX). But with the potential fuel issue I have to pass.

I had a 2017 crv with the 1.5t that gained oil in the winter. I used remote start twice per day, and my commute is 4 miles. This is a recipe for the oil dilution issue. I gained about a half quart over the 10,000 mile interval.

Despite this, the claims are overblown. There are 9 total CR reports on this, with an average of over 30,000 crv's sold per month. I have not heard of any actual engine failures because of this.

Operative word here being YET.
You had a boosted honda, I had a boosted honda.
Nothing good comes from gas in the oil pan. I'm planning to drive my next vehicle 7-10 years/150k miles. I'm not gonna bet $30k that the CRV fuel issue won't cause me any issues.

My car puts gas in the oil pan by default. I think all gdi cars suffer. Catch can does a great job of keeping that oil and gas mix out of the vents.

Operative word here being YET.
You had a boosted honda, I had a boosted honda.
Nothing good comes from gas in the oil pan. I'm planning to drive my next vehicle 7-10 years/150k miles. I'm not gonna bet $30k that the CRV fuel issue won't cause me any issues.

You can get the extended Toyota warranty in the aftermarket and save about 50-75% if you shop around. Just don't buy it at the same time as you buy the vehicle, it's a shitty deal from the dealership.

Waiting to see what the Lexus UX ends up being like.

The Lexus NX is a great little SUV based on the rav 4.

I’d take a 1-2 year old Lexus anyday over a brand new Toyota.

The 2019 RAV4 looks really nice. I would definitely go that route over a Mazda or the CRV. My sister in law is on her 2nd CRV, 2019. It's a nice vehicle...really roomy in the back. Nice ride as a passenger in the back seat and great gas mileage. But i think for your looking for, especially with reliability and resale value you can't beat Toyota. I remember my dad giving me his 1991 Toyota 4Runner with 235,000, thing ran like a champ, just had some body rust issues. I drove it for another 10k miles and stupidly traded it in, but got $4000 on a trade in , that was in 2006 i think .My Brother in law had a 2000 Corolla with 165,000 miles, ran perfectly fine but with kids on the way at the time, they needed something bigger, he, ended up getting $6500 for it via craigslist private sale in 2010.........and it had hail damage all over the body.

I picked up a 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road in February on a lease. Gas mileage sucks as expected at 17.3MPG but i really like it over all. I was considering a RAV4 when my lease is up in 2021 but the Hybrid version. Right now, according to Fuelly.com, the 2018 Hybrid RAV4's are getting like mid 30's. My only concern is the size. I can't really do small tight cockpits anymore. There are rumors of a Hybrid 4Runner so i'll have to wait and see. If that comes out i'll be jumping on that. I'd really like to get an EV Vehicle but everything is either ugly as fuck or not affordable. But i'm thinking 2021 could be a good year for a plethora of EV's

Fuck a rav4. 89% of the time i'm stuck in traffic it's due to a non-driving asshat in a rav4.
i don't know if those things just attract morons or the car sucks so bad that 40 on the highway feels fast, but i have a massive hate for rav4's.

/rant

Not sure about the Toyota dealers in your area, but the ones in Nashville area are offering a free nationwide lifetime drive train warranty on new and certified preowned. Worth looking into if you are buying for the long term.

Not sure about the Toyota dealers in your area, but the ones in Nashville area are offering a free nationwide lifetime drive train warranty on new and certified preowned. Worth looking into if you are buying for the long term.

That's the type that you have to do certain service work at certain intervals at approved dealers. When I was truck shopping it came up a LOT. A few of the dealers in my area offer that and its their value proposition to justify significantly higher pricing. I ended up buying a newspaper truck. Drop everything, haul ass 60 miles away and paid 12K less than 7 other dealer's lowest price.

That's the type that you have to do certain service work at certain intervals at approved dealers. When I was truck shopping it came up a LOT. A few of the dealers in my area offer that and its their value proposition to justify significantly higher pricing. I ended up buying a newspaper truck. Drop everything, haul ass 60 miles away and paid 12K less than 7 other dealer's lowest price.

Oh, I see. I never looked too far into it because I don't have a need to. But, I thought the types of warranties that required dealer service were illegal or something like that?

Personally I like the updated styling much better. The 18 is too rounded in all the wrong places, plus the other benefits already listed.

Oh, I see. I never looked too far into it because I don't have a need to. But, I thought the types of warranties that required dealer service were illegal or something like that?

Personally I like the updated styling much better. The 18 is too rounded in all the wrong places, plus the other benefits already listed.

They can’t deny the factory warranty but what they are offering is a dealer warranty that is apart of their own program. The catch is you need them or an approved dealership to do everything maintenance wise.

Once the factory warranty is done. You are playing by their rules.

Same for warranties you can buy. They have all kinds of rules. Some won’t use new parts if it’s over x many dollars. I know a guy that had one and needed a transmission. The warranty covered a used transmission with install. He still had to pay the deductible.

Waste of money.

Marriage has made you angry

Pissedoffsol was his OG name. If anything he is nicer now due to a lighter sack or nuts.

My friend was hot to trot on the RAV4. Hard for me to get behind .my dad had one when I was a teenager and it was about one of the least cool cars I could think of besides a PT Cruiser. It would take a lot for me to get over that emotional trauma. They do look so much better now.

I just picked up a used X5 35d. It's the diesel that gets 30mpg and has 400+ ft/lb tq. $70k sticker, 2 years old, 32k miles and walked away for $36,600.

Higher than your price range but the decision was another Explorer...was only.going to get the Sport so.it would not have been so lifeless...or to come up with an extra 3k and get the luxury brand that carried a lot more fun. Really happy with my choice. Forgot I actually enjoyed driving a vehicle if it has a soul.

Problem with a bmw is over time it will cost you a rav 4 worth of upkeep

That’s why it was such a great deal. No one wants to touch them as they age.

No doubt a nice car once you remove the drop like a rock resale and burn through your wallet upkeep.

Back