Getting More Hp

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jahwarrior

I want to squeeze 150hp out of my d16y7 what do i need to do?
I already have coldair intake, exhaust and headers.

turbo and for the price of it, you can get a b16 or maybe a b18c1 swap and have a better platform. If you like the ideal of boost. Then get an LS swap and boost it.

btw, what car do you have?

I have a 98 cx HB

I dont want lots of hp just around 150, enough to get me going, i'm more interested in handling

handling.. so i take it you are into autoX.. I would go SC. They give great throttle response. Look into a JRSC or Vortec.. something along that lines. One if a roots and the other is a centrifugel (sp?).

Is there any good way to add hp without SC or turbo?
maybe up the compression and add a new cam, i want something reliable
and i only want to spend around $1500

y7 isn't vtec.. go get a y8 head, timing belt (mini-me swap.. and add the wires to your ecu for vtec) and a z6 Si tranny. Get bigger pistons and cam and cam gear, do some tuning and get a LSD. I dont think all of that can happen for 1500. The mini-me will yeild you around 135 and then you can use a mugen head gasket (i believe) and make 145hp to the crank tho. The Si tranny will help it get to the ground quicker. Then go internal starting with pistons then a cam.. to rev high, you need to go valves, valve springs.

Or.. get a Zex 50 shot and spray it on your new mini-me and make that extra power you want.

Mini-Me info

That is for a CRX, but its the same, just use Civic parts. If you are in Cali, a head swap is illegal.

Also, click on search at the top of the board and type in Mini-Me. We recently upgraded and lost a lot of vaulable posts, so hopefully what you are looking for is in all of that.

Originally posted by jahwarrior@Jan 13 2003, 12:07 PM
Is there any good way to add hp without SC or turbo?
maybe up the compression and add a new cam, i want something reliable
and i only want to spend around $1500

If you decide to go ahead with the mini me,then best of luck to you.If you want to get the most for the least amount of down time,work,money,and sacrificing of reliability,invest in a b16a2 or even better a b18c1. :)
No i'm not saying the mini me is unreliable,I am saying that if you cut corners and do it yourself it can be(unless you know what your doing).What I am saying is that getting a engine built up to squeeze unimpressive hp out of is a waste of time and money.My $.02

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 13 2003, 06:59 AM
.... getting a engine built up to squeeze unimpressive hp out of is a waste of time and money.My $.02

:werd:

Originally posted by jahwarrior@Jan 13 2003, 01:38 PM
so..how do I wire my car for vtec with the y8 head?

Get an ecu that runs vtec (there are a few and I don't know the best one) then run the extra wires.

Originally posted by jahwarrior@Jan 13 2003, 07:38 AM
so..how do I wire my car for vtec with the y8 head?

Just get the ECU off the car you get the y8 head...

you should be able to get 150hp out of a mini me, just h/i/e and internals will bring you pretty close. If you guys didn't relize, he said he wanted good handling. A bigger engine will change all of the suspension dynamics. This head swap will have a minimal (if any) effect on handling. Do what you want, but this is the way I'd go.

Originally posted by timEspeed@Jan 13 2003, 05:14 PM
you should be able to get 150hp out of a mini me, just h/i/e and internals will bring you pretty close. If you guys didn't relize, he said he wanted good handling. A bigger engine will change all of the suspension dynamics. This head swap will have a minimal (if any) effect on handling. Do what you want, but this is the way I'd go.

If you don't realize that the weight gain from a D to a B is nothing,it is a stock engine in other countries.Has nothing to do with suspension geometry,as the engine sits in the same place in the U.S.,europe and Japan.You need better handling because you moving your car faster with a better motor not because you crammed some huge engine in it,Granted the H22 adds a tiny (still insignificant amount) of weight to a civic,but unless your autocrossing a H is fine.And I love the "just h/i/e/ and internals" idea.What is the point?If he's going to rebuild,why waste the time to end up where a swap starts,as far as power goes.

b/c he only wants to spend tops 1500.. a swap for him would run 1k more. When someone is on a budget, they usually dont want to save the extra money. If he can get his power gains and it is what he likes, who cares that he isn't following the crowd of using a b-series. yes, a b-series will beat him, but all he cares about is handling.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 14 2003, 12:17 PM
b/c he only wants to spend tops 1500.. a swap for him would run 1k more. When someone is on a budget, they usually dont want to save the extra money. If he can get his power gains and it is what he likes, who cares that he isn't following the crowd of using a b-series. yes, a b-series will beat him, but all he cares about is handling.

I'm not telling the guy he needs to swap,I'm saying that there is not a difference in the motors as far as weight goes to warrant not swapping,and being able to achieve good handling.I understand that the original poster wants to save a buck,and that is great.I hope he has the best of luck with his build up.But also if the guy is really interested a good handling car maybe he should invest his 1500 in suspension,not that the stock is bad,but he could get a good setup for that.Then later on save up and go ballistic on a good motor.But hey,it ain't my life just my opinion.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 14 2003, 06:38 AM-->
Domeskilla
@Jan 14 2003, 12:17 PM

I'm not telling the guy he needs to swap,I'm saying that there is not a difference in the motors as far as weight goes to warrant not swapping,and being able to achieve good handling.I understand that the original poster wants to save a buck,and that is great.I hope he has the best of luck with his build up.But also if the guy is really interested a good handling car maybe he should invest his 1500 in suspension,not that the stock is bad,but he could get a good setup for that.Then later on save up and go ballistic on a good motor.But hey,it ain't my life just my opinion.

id spend 1k on Tein's and then do a mini-me for now to satisfy my 140-150 needs. Then do a swap. .but i was just giving him the help he wanted. Best of luck. :)

The mini-me swap is going to be my first real experience with a swap im going to try it and see
how it works out. I eventually want to do a b18 swap, but i have other things to spend
my money on like my trip to Europe this summer. So im going budget for now.

Back