Go Turbo Or Supercharge On Auto Tranny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CIVIXER

i WANT YOUR THOUGHTS IF TURBOCHARGER OR SUPERCHARGER WOULD BE BETTER FOR AN AUTOMATIC? THANKS.

a manual would be better for an automatic.

honda auto's suck. they won't hold much power at all. if you're looking for performance, a tranny swap/conversion shoudl come in your future before boost IMO

and loose the freakin CAPS

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 20 2003, 07:30 AM

honda auto's suck. they won't hold much power at all. if you're looking for performance, a tranny swap/conversion shoudl come in your future before boost IMO

what do u mean by a manual would be better for an automatic?????

A strong auto tranny is good for turbo because you can boost before launch.

DO ALL CAPS HURT YOUR EYES?

Sure, a strong auto tranny might be good, but Honda auto-transmissions aren't. Besides, where's the fun or challenge in driving an automatic. Automatic sports cars are sacreligious in my opinoin. Whomever made the call to make automatic corvettes, porches, or any other sports cars should be drawn and quartered. Either way, if youwant to boost, you're going to want the manual transmission, dont worry about being able to boost before you launch, when you realize your gear ratio's suck and you have to buy another torque converter, you'l have regrets.

Originally posted by dcsports413+May 20 2003, 12:49 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 20 2003, 07:30 AM

what do u mean by a manual would be better for an automatic?????

DO ALL CAPS HURT YOUR EYES?

careful, he does run this site and he knows what hes talking about. the keyword you said was strong auto tranny, hondas dont have a strong auto tranny to hold a lot of power.

Originally posted by dcsports413@May 20 2003, 12:49 PM

Wow. Just...wow. I'm going to be nice, all I will say is that is wrong on so many levels.

Originally posted by Afipunk21+May 20 2003, 01:57 PM-->
dcsports413
@May 20 2003, 12:49 PM

Wow. Just...wow. I'm going to be nice, all I will say is that is wrong on so many levels.

You cant just say i'm wrong. Explain yourself. A Honda auto tranny is NOT going to be strong, a built one is. Many drag cars have 4 spd auto trannys. It all depends on what he wants to do with the car anyway.

yea but these r funny cars that run the 1/4 mile in 6 seconds, i don't think they have time to shift, thats y they have automatics. And im pretty sure their auto tranny isn't made by honda.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@May 20 2003, 03:33 PM
yea but these r funny cars that run the 1/4 mile in 6 seconds, i don't think they have time to shift, thats y they have automatics. And im pretty sure their auto tranny isn't made by honda.

this is true

after tw0 blow auto trannys i have now performed 2 auto to manual conversions and am in the middle of number 3
(up here auto are super cheap and pleantifull)
the honda auto tranny does not launch well and gives shitty performence and has a nasty habit of ranomly shifting gears and make really lound grinding and tinkiling noises when you add boost to the equation

the problem is, there are little to no parts for performance honda automatics. they are weak from the factory, the gear ratios suck, and there isn't aftermarket support to make them perform.

auto's by default ARE faster than manuals, due to the faster shifting and the availbility of a high stall converter.
however, the honda one's suck. there are no high stall converters that i know of. the only b-series auto in the US is an LS tranny which is too long unless you are running 9s. on top of that, they will blow up if you feed them any kind of power.

as for boosting off the line- hello and welcome to hondata's boost timing retard control- or any other mechanism that allows for an "engine load" to be simulated. I'm planning to leave the hole around 8 psi :)

and yes CAPS HURTS MY FUCKING EYES and its down right annoying.

If you really are bent on boosting an automatic tranny, use a supercharger. Manual rides are the only type worthy for turbos. Also turbos are generally good for FWD but since you have an automatic you'll be getting boost as soon as you hit the pedal i believe (correct me if i'm wrong).

ite this guy is talkin about a civic wuh about an 99 accord? yea its a auto, would it be best and cheaper if i just go with the supercharger or get a h22a? and do shit to the h22a? and how much would it cost for me to switch trans, isnt it $1000+ for the clutch to be added alone?

when you do the h22 swap, it comes with a manual tranny already. you just have to add the other thigns to make it work- the interior consel, the pedal assembly, the clutch master cly, and the hydro lines.

I have done a 91 civci auto to manual for as little as 100 bucks inlucding the tranny
you need the pedal assebely center counsel
try to gat a b seires cable tranny
to add the hydor resevoir and lines is alot harder than a single cable

Back