god dammit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

As some of you may remember, I posted a topic not too long ago about abandoning the 460Z project for an RX7 T-II. That fell through, obviously. So, I'm stuck on a currently derailed 460Z project that I need money to finish putting the engine together on. After that comes the hard part (stuffing the 460 in the Z and prepping the chassis).

Well, today I saw an ad for a complete sandrail for 1300 bucks. The ad says it needs work but runs and drives. I can live with that. At some point I'd rebuild the transaxle and adapt an EJ20T to it.

The 'ol beast of indecisiveness has attacked again, this time with a vengeance.

Let's weigh the pros and cons.

Z:
+Awesome looking car.
+Gobs of power.
-Going to require a lot more money to make all the power usable (frame work, full cage, reinforcement, rear diff/suspension upgrade).
-Going to require registering and at least liability insurance (whether I drive it or not).
-Going to require standard maintenance on wear items (30 yr old car).
-GAS HOG.
-Only really good for cruising and drag racing.
-Requires space to store when not driving.

Rail:
+Tons of fun.
+Dune-worthy vehicle.
+Will see more use than the Z, considering I live 5 minutes from the dunes.
+Easier on gas.
+Much lower initial investment, higher potential of return, much higher potential platform.
+Could be modified for street use (headlights, turn signals, brake lights).
-Requires storage space.
-Going to be heavy on maintenance due to dune use.

What do you guys think? I know a lot of you think I'm just being indecisive again, but I'm trying to explore viable options so I don't end up with something I won't feel is worth it. Some of you probably think I go through ideas faster than underwear, but try not to be too harsh.

>P.S. Steve, if you say anything about a dune buggy I'll wop ya. :p

a dune buggy?

wtf?

are there even "dunes" in oregon?

shit man.. thats for baja and mexican racing shit down with the iron man!

Where do you live in OR? We hit up cannon beach area last year. It was pretty sweet, but I didn't get to touch the dunes as it was raining every day.

Coos Bay area. 45 minutes south of Florence, right in the middle of the dunes.

Lol...there are google ads at the bottom for dune buggys...coincidence???
It's gonna be hard to go on a date in a dune buggy. And the Z is a Z. A Z with a big motor. Your choice.

Oregon dunes own man. I was there last summer and it was a ton of fun. I was actually born in Coose Bay lived there for two years. But really its up to you. If I lived down in Coose Bay I would probly have a really nice quad or a sand rail. My dad has a rail with a 22r in it and that thing is pretty damn nice. If you are looking for an all out toy I would go with the rail. either way best of luck to you.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, Drake. Buy a completed rail for cheap and then putting either a 20R, 22R, or a Subaru EJ20T in it.

Let me know if you're ever down here again, we'll meet up or something.

Back