GSR block with b16 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpoonTuNed

I currently have a B18c1 block with no head and was going to put a b16 head on it because supposedly you get more compression, but i was curious on which head gasket and timing belt to use...Gsr or b16?

PR3 (ITR/B16) heads give you less compression than a GSR head. They have larger combustion chambers. I am thinking either head gasket would work.

I thought that the timing belts were determined by the block that you use. So in your case you used the GSR timing belt because the block is physically taller then the B16 block.

Originally posted by n1mr0d@Jul 7 2005, 01:24 PM
I thought that the timing belts were determined by the block that you use. So in your case you used the GSR timing belt because the block is physically taller then the B16 block.
[post=522037]Quoted post[/post]​

Correct.

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Jul 10 2005, 07:31 PM
I thought a B16 head up'd the compression? Either way i think it has better flow?
[post=523722]Quoted post[/post]​

1. As Jon said no. B16 head would lower compression.

2. and no. The flow difference is negligable.

Gsr heads have actually been proven to flow better in the midrange anyway, while p30s and p73s flow better in the high end... So unless you are building a 9000 rpm screamer, you are probably better off with the p72. B)

why dont you do it right and just slap a GSR head on it. Better yet how about you buy my LS off me and get a b16 head for that. Then you would get your higher compression. Dont disgrace that GSR with a b16 head.....i mean come on man :newbie:

All i have is a GSR block, the only reason i thought about a b16 head was because a buddy of mine had one that was milled down .20... however if you say GSR head is better then i'll go with that...Any one out there have a gsr head for sale??

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Jul 10 2005, 09:04 PM
All i have is a GSR block, the only reason i thought about a b16 head was because a buddy of mine had one that was milled down .20... however if you say GSR head is better then i'll go with that...Any one out there have a gsr head for sale??
[post=523775]Quoted post[/post]​

... and why the hell did you leave that little tidbit of information out of your original question?

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Jul 10 2005, 09:04 PM
[post=523775]Quoted post[/post]​

If you can get a good head that has been milled 20 thosandths, than go for it because it will be about the same compression as the gsr and the flow characteristics are negligible....

Back