gsr crx turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxhoppa

crx project
wats going on ppl im planning on doing a gsr swap into my 90 crx dx. i have about $3000 to do it with and im just seeing wat the best way to go is.

i was planning on doing a jdm gsr b18c5 with a b16 cable tranny, hasport mounts, obdo - obd1 harness, 92 integra axles with gsr half shafts, civic or integra knuckles n brakes for bigger brakes, low compression pistons and a t3/t4 turbo kit that i can grab for around 600.

is it a good idea to turbo it.. i cant really go all motor because i dont have the money so thats why i wanna turbo it.

what type of low compression pistons could i use?
would i have to change anything else on the internals to turbo it?

plz let me know thanks. :D

honestly best thing you can do before you go spending money is go out and read everything you can about what your wanting to do that way you have a good idea and some know how so you dont just have to rely on other peoples opinions that you dont know to be correct

thats what ive been doing. ive been reading up on gsr swaps in a crx but i cant find anything on a turboed gsr crx. im stuck on the c5 so i know im going that route.

i wanna know if putting the low compression pistons in and turboing it wuld be a good idea or would i have to rebuild more of it to turbo.

oh and the wiring is kinda wacky to but i think i might send my dx harness with my itr harness to rywire n have him solder it.

I boosted my stock internal gsr for 20k miles with no issues. Keep in mind I ran a hondata s300 tuned to run larger injectors. My supercharger kit cost me $2000. Yes it was expensive, but it never let me down.

My point is that you get what you pay for. A $600 turbo kit will be an ebay piece of shit. Next you have to worry about getting the engine the right amount of fuel it needs. That gets expensive. Swap in the gsr and leave it NA. Your car will be suprisingly quick with 200hp. I know that for me, the stock gsr swap fulfulled me for a year and a half while I saved to do boost the correct way.

hmm i was thinking about just leaving it like that too and instead of buying that $600 turbo i could use that 600 and rebuild the c5 or the head atleast.

thanks guys..anything else that would be a good in a c5

hmm i was thinking about just leaving it like that too and instead of buying that $600 turbo i could use that 600 and rebuild the c5 or the head atleast.

thanks guys..anything else that would be a good in a c5

If your set on boosting down the road consider throwing in some lower compression slugs. (9.5:1 maybe). The b18c5 is close to 11:1 which gives high cylinder pressures when boosting. This makes the rings wear out faster.

anyone else notice something not right.. JDM GSR b18c5?? that'd be a USDM Type R motor... not good for boost

i dont have the engine yet.. its either the c5 or c1 but i believe its the c5 a buddy of mine is selling it to me n im juss researchin rite now.

Yea, the c5 is definitely the Type R motor, which is very expensive and probably the last motor you would want to try and turbo. If you are getting the gsr motor though, which is the c1, I would listen what they said and just run it n/a for a while. Ebay kits aren't worth it either.

i dont have the engine yet.. its either the c5 or c1 but i believe its the c5 a buddy of mine is selling it to me n im juss researchin rite now.

Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about then. The B18C5 is NOT a JDM motor. That's the US-spec Type R engine, and the reason they're telling you it's not good for boost is because the compression is so high. If you're willing to drop a load of cash on new internals, then I guess it doesn't really matter, but if you're on a limited budget then you'd be better off boosting a stock GS-R engine (B18C1)...

why spend the extra cash on a type r motor when you can get a gsr and boost that, stock? now if you want to boost your engine to the extremes, the extra money you will spend on the type r (granted you arent getting it as cheap as you would a gsr) could go to new pistons, rods, rod bolts, and misc turbo parts with the gsr motor for around the same price as a stock type r.

in simple terms, you can have 1/4 of your build done with a gsr motor, verses having a stock type r. get what im saying?

anyone else notice something not right.. JDM GSR b18c5?? that'd be a USDM Type R motor... not good for boost
I couldn't believe it took that long before someone said something. A real JDM GSR OR Type R will be stamped B18C. No numbers.

Back