H22 or H23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dubbb

Basically i wanna know what is better for an H22 ... to bore it out and go all engine or to go with the turbo? and same question for h23 vtec?.. and if anyone has any feed back on the h22 vs. the h23 vtec and their opinion on whats better lemme know?

turbo out the h23... just my opinion though... plus i think they tranny has longer gearing or am I mistaken on that one.... maybe its the same as an h22... but besides - in my opinion non-vtec is better for turbo. If you are going all motor - then go h22 vtec. So it comes down to - h23 turbo or h22 all motor - your choice.

he's asking about the H23 VTEC, not non-vtec

I would advise you stick to the H22... its not worth the extra money for gains you won't even notice from the H23 vtec... but it is unique so that may be a factor for you...

i prefer turbo, motor would last longer due to lower compression during non boost periods, thats if you build it right anyway...

hmmm.. i had no clue that there was an h23 vtec.... *shrug*

okay yea there is a h23 vtec but u gotta pretty much make it vtec urself....
but yea can someone tell me what would be better an h23 vtec or an h22 and for both engines would it be better to go all engine or to turbo it?

H23 hybrid is expensive and a lot of work. H22 is a bit cheaper, with a nominal loss of displacement.

H22 DOHC VTEC turbo would be the shit. You would run low boost levels with the higher compression, which would give you good low end power and awesome top end. I'm not gonna throw out any numbers, so don't ask.

Higher compression turbo set ups are supposed to be harder to tune. However, they are a sweet setup.

Read the article on Static vs. Effective Compression, very informative.

Edit: I spelled your last name wrong B!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a stock H23 vtec, i believe it was only around in the 99 accords (JDM ONLY OF COURSE)...

the h23 vtec does not have much better numbers than an h22 vtec so it is NOT WORTH the money or effort unless you want points for uniqueness... and the h23 swap is about 600 to 800 more than an h22 swap...

turbo with H22 would be great... high flow from turbo to really take advantage of the increased flow through vtec technology... MINT

if he should go h22 turbo should he not bore, sleeve or just leave it the way it is. and from his original question...which tranny would be better to use with an h22 turbo ...the h23 tran does have slightly longer gears than an h22. or so ive heard

If you want a full race engine, then you'd probably want to build up the internals. The stock H22 internals are supposed to be pretty strong, but I don't know how much they can handle. This is a better question for the guys in the turbo forum. I think it would depend on the effective compression, octane of gas, and amount of tuning done.

H23 tranny is longer geared than the H22. Turbo's like longer gears. I'd suggest LSD too. Once again, the amount of power you put out and how you build the engine will dictate which transmission you choose.

Back