H22a 95 Civic Si Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

onefastcivic

i am getting this hatch and i already have a h22a and a mount kit for the car, i was going to put it in my civic coupe but i had someone buy it from me, so i got a si hatch. i know someone who has a hatch with a h22, it has beaten anycar it has challenged, i was wondering what you all would think about throwing a h22a in a 95 eg, so just let me know and if you have any engine component suggestions let me know(no boost for now)

thanks in advance

drew

H22's are massive torque monsters......one big thing you have to worry about is traction, try to achieve the best traction by suspension, tranny, and launching methods. besure to have some bullet proof axles because i promise you that you will break them. the only disadvantages about H22's is it's lack of speed on low ends. turbo is a good application, do some research about it. but if your just thinkin about daily driven, swap in TYPE S components, and some basic bolt ons. i'm pretty sure you'll be satisfy. one quik thing though, BESURE to hook up your IAB. most people forget this and it'll affect you.

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 25 2003, 08:44 AM
swap in TYPE S components, and some basic bolt ons.

:werd:

Definitely get some Type S pistons, they'll bump your compression to 11.1:1. Although I've heard it's not worth it to install Type S cams unless you can get them for next to nothing, you're probably better off getting some Skunk2 Stage 1 cams or some Stage 2 cams with some valvetrain upgrades.

what's wrong with type s cams? are they the same duration and lift? or just lower than aftermarkets?

They're slightly more aggressive than the JDM H22A cams, but from what I hear, they'll only give you a slight gain in performance. 10 horses maybe? Think about it like this: The Type S has 20 more horses than a base JDM H22. I'd bet half of that comes from the bump in compression (half a point) and a few more from the the hand-ported intake manifold. So that leaves only a few horses to be had from the cams. Why pay $350 or more (I've seen them go for as much as $500 used) for a few extra horses? He'd be better off getting some JUN's or Skunk2's and seeing some more power for the same amount of cash.

you might be right, because if he uses the other h22 head, it's not actually ported and polish, so yeah.

Actually, I don't think the HEAD is ported n polished like an ITR, I believe it's just the intake mani and runners.

i actually read an artical on it. intake ports and exhaust ports are well done. valves are bigger and so is cam duration.

I stand corrected. Although that info gives more credit to the thought that the Type S cams aren't too much different than the normal JDM H22 cams. I'd be willing to bet that the extra compression and ported n polished head give about 15 horses.

hey all that posted so far thank you for your advice. i just bought tein ha's a few hours ago im geeking, but i will be getting some major new suspension parts(not sure what yet) and i will have atleast stage1 axles. i will go get some type s pistons for sure thanks a lot

Back