H23 With A H22 Vtec Head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So i didnt think it would matter since it was helpful information being posted but next time i'll pay more attention to the date.... shouldnt matter to you since you didnt post anything in this thread.

I believe it doesn't matter if its 5 years old , Im doing the swap very soon and I was googoling, and this is one of the results in the first page . basically there is no certain information and it will be fine if we keep posting in this thread cause it will make it stronger, people will not get in to this link and leave with no answer. having in mind that is already indexed in google and many other search engines ...

so , bottom line ?

H23 with H22 head will need ...

h22 head gasket
h22 timing belt , tensioner , and water pump
take out the oil restrictor .

correct or not sure at all ?

thanks

I believe it doesn't matter if its 5 years old , Im doing the swap very soon and I was googoling, and this is one of the results in the first page . basically there is no certain information and it will be fine if we keep posting in this thread cause it will make it stronger, people will not get in to this link and leave with no answer. having in mind that is already indexed in google and many other search engines ...

The guy that I criticized was addressing the OP directly. I was just pointing out to him that the OP hadn't even visited this site in two years, so there's little chance that he cares to know the answer to this question anymore, or that he will even read this. I don't think my comments were out of line...

The guy that I criticized was addressing the OP directly. I was just pointing out to him that the OP hadn't even visited this site in two years, so there's little chance that he cares to know the answer to this question anymore, or that he will even read this. I don't think my comments were out of line...

that's true !

hey, does anyone know if you can use a h22a4 (from a 01 prelude) can be used on a h23a1 (92 prelude si)
it seems like a sound idea, but in an earlier post someone had mentioned a closed deck vs an open deck.. anyone who could help me out..it'd be greatly appreciated

I did this swap already in my 92 prelude
here is what u need in this swap

h22 cams seals and valve cover gasket is recommend
as well as h23 crank seal since everything is off
h22 water pump (vtec has more teeth)
h22 waterpipe
h22 thermostat housing
h22 head gasket
h22 crank gear (vtec has more teeth)
h22 timing belt (vtec has more teeth)
h22 head studs (h23 studs are shorter, I recommend ARP head studs)
h22 spark plug wires (h23 spark plug wires are shorter)
U also need to run a vtec wire through your harness (I'm using a AFC to control my vtec, so that way u dnt need a h22 ECU)
H22 headers, h22 exahust manifold gasket (h23 doesn't line up)
And with a 10mm bolt get the oil restrictor out (its in the middle/back of the block)
h22 distributor
h22 complete head (vtec solenoid, intake manifold, cams, cams gears, injectors, and throttle body, make sure it has all the sensors)
*I'm not sure if the h23 manifold fits on the h22 head since I had an h22 manifold i just throw that on
*be sure to torque all the bolts on the head
*If your h23 distributor had an external coil and your h22 distributor has an internal coil, your going to have to run switch a couple of wires of the harness plugs
*And also lube the cams while your putting them on
*Also I recommend to resurface the h22 head and make sure that the h23 block surface is clean and oil free as well as the h22 head bottom surface (dnt touch at all this surfaces once they are clean) u can clean it really good with carburetor cleaner
*be careful with the balancers (take off a 12mm bolt on the back of the block by the back balancer and put a

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr211/HiM_N_ME/balancelineup.jpg
moz-screenshot.png

I post some pics on how to soon
Feel free to email me or reply with any questions or if u feel like there some missing on the list since I'm doing this from the top of my head

Thank you for posting up that information it is really helpful in deciding what to do. Do you know what kind of power increase you got from doing this? Also did you run in to any major problems doing this?

is this fucking thread born of fail?
fucking a people, fucking a...

Sorry, it will be posted soon. Until then, check the forums, there have been 347384349 questions on how to do any LS/VTEC.

I don't see why you couldn't use an OBD2 head on an OBD1 block, but you're going to have to modify the wiring harness to make the combination work. Make sure you match OBD's between the head and the car though.
I have done the tranny swap in my lude. I put an H23 (lude si) tranny into my vtec lude and also put in a JDM H22 at the same time. In a CRX I would recommend using the H23 tranny because with a car that light 1st, 2nd, and most of 3rd with the H22 tranny would be almost useless because you would be spinning the tires through all 3 gears. With the H23 tranny, there's not a whole lot of difference in 2nd but 3rd is definatley taller. Not to mention it will do 105 mph at 7200 rpm and top speed is around 145-150 mph and I can vouch for that. I just think in a car that light, you'd get more use out of the H23 tranny even on slicks. The one thing you made need to do would be get a Vtec controller and set the vtec to engage around 4500-4800 rpm because if I'm not right at redline in 2nd gear when I shift to 3rd, my revs end up around 4600 rpm. The stock vtec set up engages at 5200 rpm. Once again, just some knowledge from someone who is running the H22a H23 tranny setup in a lude.

so , bottom line ?

h22 head gasket

thanks
The guy that I criticized was addressing the OP directly. I was just pointing out to him that the OP hadn't even visited this site in two years, so there's little chance that he cares to know the answer to this question anymore, or that he will even read this. I don't think my comments were out of line..

so , bottom line ?

h22 head gasket

thanks
The guy that I criticized was addressing the OP directly. I was just pointing out to him that the OP hadn't even visited this site in two years, so there's little chance that he cares to know the answer to this question anymore, or that he will even read this. I don't think my comments were out of line..

I have been doing research about this frankinstein motor build up and I am planning on doing this soon. I have asked various people and they said that the h22 head gasket is the one you want to use Im not sure myself but this is what I have heard and the oil passages are the same. You will need to remove a few oil plugs here and there and that should allow the oil to flow like a h22 vtec should. I recommend using the h22a tranny since the gear ratio is shorter if you are building for 1/4 mile. If you are going for top speed use the h23 same bolt pattern. Hope that helps..
Thanks for sharing. It's great

gotta add my 2 cents. the h23 with a h22 head is crap. to the best of my knowledge the h22 has extra oil squirters on the bottom end supporting the 7800 rpm redline, the h23 does not have these and stock has a 6500 rpm redline. therefore making the h23 block with h22 head unreliable at those rpms. if your gona do it, do it right. to me this is a half assed and unreliable option. do as you will though just because i wouldnt do it shouldnt stop you. just giving you something to consider

Back