head gasket woes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Im not here to hear about how im stupid and did this wrong, Im just trying to find out how to do it right this time.

Well I put the head gasket on and got everything together, but the car had a very hard start and began pushing oil through the head gasket as soon as it started running. The front main seal started leaking like a siv too. I know I made several mistakes, but I want to make sure there is nothing else that I may have done wrong so heres what i know i did wrong.....

Head gasket was a 'wee' bit off (as in the bolt holes werent 100% matched up), gonna go get the HONDA one tomorrow

accidentally tuned the valves on the exhaust stoke cept for 1st cylinder (whoops, thought the engine turned counter clockwise)

I also know that the deck was flat and clean, checked it with and edge and the head was machined. The timing is correct (cept for the valves)

Would the valves being tuned the other way be enough to cause compression to skyrocket and blow the gasket? which was already not good because of the mis-size?

Originally posted by Periculum@Sep 2 2005, 11:44 PM
Im not here to hear about how im stupid and did this wrong, Im just trying to find out how to do it right this time.

Well I put the head gasket on and got everything together, but the car had a very hard start and began pushing oil through the head gasket as soon as it started running. The front main seal started leaking like a siv too. I know I made several mistakes, but I want to make sure there is nothing else that I may have done wrong so heres what i know i did wrong.....

Head gasket was a 'wee' bit off (as in the bolt holes werent 100% matched up), gonna go get the HONDA one tomorrow

accidentally tuned the valves on the exhaust stoke cept for 1st cylinder (whoops, thought the engine turned counter clockwise)

I also know that the deck was flat and clean, checked it with and edge and the head was machined. The timing is correct (cept for the valves)

Would the valves being tuned the other way be enough to cause compression to skyrocket and blow the gasket? which was already not good because of the mis-size?
[post=549087]Quoted post[/post]​

Were you using Felpro head gasket, the MLS style?

Originally posted by Periculum@Sep 3 2005, 10:26 PM
yeah fel pro not sure if MLS style, but the honda one I grabbed today looks much better.
[post=549342]Quoted post[/post]​

Let me know if you discover any leaks if you put the gasket in.

yep, I was just informed from a buddy of mine that and 'oversize' gasket should have been used sinced my head was shaved due to warpage. First time I heard that, but it makes sense....

I was wrong about the valves too, It was just my doubting myself, I did that right.

Ill do the gasket again, make sure everything is very clean, and if it blows again, Im just gonna buy a zc :-D

Oversized headgasket becuase you had the head milled? That doesnt make sense. Do you mean a thicker headgasket to compensate for the mill, if this is the case, the you are correct. But I dont think they make thicker headgaskets for this reason.

Just be sure to follow the proper torque sequence for the head studs/bolts. Make sure the bolts are within spec too.

yeah thicker gasket is what I meant and Honda did say that they dont make any. But Ive also learned that there are some gaskets made for those people who intentionally shaved down their head to get that extra little compression. Ill be able to tell you guys in a few days how this head gasket goes, .... then it will be ZC decision time

The bolts are brand new.

Originally posted by Periculum@Sep 6 2005, 10:38 PM
yeah thicker gasket is what I meant and Honda did say that they dont make any. But Ive also learned that there are some gaskets made for those people who intentionally shaved down their head to get that extra little compression. Ill be able to tell you guys in a few days how this head gasket goes, .... then it will be ZC decision time

The bolts are brand new.
[post=550446]Quoted post[/post]​

You know what sucks. I just farted... and it stank.

Anyway...

Shaving the head, brings an entire new problem. If you shave it enough, you have to compensate since the cams move and are down closer to the deck. So... you have to change the timing, I believe its advance for every .018 you mill. Bad memory owns me.

Do some checking on that.

ignition timing or cam timing? and one tooth per .018?

Funny how im learning all this stuff after I need it....

Back