Help with my swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WsMikio

fellas so finally after all these years i get a hatchback and i purchased it from some young kid that didnt seem to know much about the swap.. now before i continue let me say im no more than a youtube mechanic but a quick learner and want to be able to say at the end yeah i put that motor together. so far i put a skunk2 intake manifold anda few other parts... gonna post a few pics so yall can check it out... now i had a guy from the honda group on facebook come by and he said i needed a jumper and ecu . honestly i think he was talking out the side of his neck and more worried about the 50 bucks i gave him for his troubles... So here is where am at now, i had ordered headers but ebay seems to be sending me whatever parts they want, the headers they sent me was for a turbo and now either im gonna turbo it or go through the hassle of returning the headers. anyhow i made up my mind and decided that the only way to really get my motor how i want it is if i take the whole motor out and build it from the ground up, so im looking to you guys to give me pointers and feedback during the build, let me thank you guys for accepting me into this site again its highly appreciated. i will be posting pictures along the way so you can help me out as best as possible...

i need a list of stuff to buy.....
***rebuild kit... add to my list please

Attachments

• IMG-2009.jpg
    IMG-2009.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG-2005.jpg
    IMG-2005.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG-2004.jpg
    IMG-2004.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 211
why don't you list out for us what year model and trim your car is.

and then all the parts you currently know you have in the engine bay... what parts you have waiting to go in... engine model number, etc.

the more info you give the more we can help.

Is this a swap? I ask because it looks like the stock engine. non-vtec d15 or d16 (can't tell in the pics).

It's probably not worth building up --- you'll spend more on parts than if you just did a swap.

The guy telling you need a chipped ecu is probably talking about if you go turbo, you may need to go obd1 if you're in an ek hatch.

so yea, as above, we need more info.

what do you have car and engine-wise, and what do you want to get out of the car? street? drag? autox? hard parking?

i have a 99 civic hatchback (sohc) engine model number d16a .... i installed a skunk2 exhaust manifold..

waiting to be installed.. headers- injectors- fuel rail -cold air intake- honestly im trying to build a bad ass ek with a quick ass motor, im also thinking about the mini me swap ....there is no budget in this build ...

Is this a swap? I ask because it looks like the stock engine. non-vtec d15 or d16 (can't tell in the pics).

It's probably not worth building up --- you'll spend more on parts than if you just did a swap.

The guy telling you need a chipped ecu is probably talking about if you go turbo, you may need to go obd1 if you're in an ek hatch.

so yea, as above, we need more info.

what do you have car and engine-wise, and what do you want to get out of the car? street? drag? autox? hard parking?
the kid i got it from didnt know much about what kinda swap.. i think he and his uncle had a shell and needed a motor and went to pick and pull and took the motor from there calling it a swap... thats exactly what happened, so putting money into this motor is pointless? then what do you suggest i do? whats the dopest motor that will fit in it? im just wanting a fast car to street race and have some fun at the same time

ok i started the bust down and still not too sure what im going to do, keep the d16 motor and just add upgrades to it or start with a totally different motor... im stuck here guys and need to know whats the best block compatible with my ek...

Attachments

• IMG-2025.jpg
    IMG-2025.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG-2024.jpg
    IMG-2024.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG-2021.jpg
    IMG-2021.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG-2020.jpg
    IMG-2020.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG-2019.jpg
    IMG-2019.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG-2018.jpg
    IMG-2018.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG-2017.jpg
    IMG-2017.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG-2009.jpg
    IMG-2009.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG-2005.jpg
    IMG-2005.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 206
I don't recognize the motor to be honest...

I thought it might be a obd2 jdm ZC which is marked as the d16a or d16zc sometimes. But, the story doesn't make sense -- you wouldn't find that at a pick N pull junk yard.

Either way, it's a 110 ish hp motor that even if you turbo will maybe get you to 150. You can get 150 -200 out of the box with a b series swap.

I don't recognize the motor to be honest...

I thought it might be a obd2 jdm ZC which is marked as the d16a or d16zc sometimes. But, the story doesn't make sense -- you wouldn't find that at a pick N pull junk yard.

Either way, it's a 110 ish hp motor that even if you turbo will maybe get you to 150. You can get 150 -200 out of the box with a b series swap.
its says d16a on it... so what does that make it obd1?

ok so i pulled the motor out cuz i wanted to really clean out my engine bay, i took a bunch of pictures for myself incase i have a difficult time remembering where anything goes.. since then i been watching videos on wire tucking and shaving the engine bay and want to tuck mine.. i got a cherry picker and motor stand.. i been doing lil shit to make the motor look better while i wait for all the suspension parts to arrive, i was interested in the mini me swap and was looking to buy a sohc v tec head and block but one of my buddies said i already it.. i know the valve cover normally says v tec on it and wanted to know if there is anyother way to find out if its v tec or not

Here goes the pics of what i been doing, cars up on jack stands and all the suspension is taken out.. well i been watching alot of videos and getting all sorts of different ideas... today i took out all the interior and plan on cleaning it all up... also wanted to know if there is any way to identify a v tec head other than the valve cover?

Attachments

• IMG-2073.jpg
    IMG-2073.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG-2072.jpg
    IMG-2072.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG-2071.jpg
    IMG-2071.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG-2070.jpg
    IMG-2070.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-2069.jpg
    IMG-2069.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG-2068.jpg
    IMG-2068.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG-2067.jpg
    IMG-2067.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-2066.jpg
    IMG-2066.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 204
ok so i pulled the motor out cuz i wanted to really clean out my engine bay, i took a bunch of pictures for myself incase i have a difficult time remembering where anything goes.. since then i been watching videos on wire tucking and shaving the engine bay and want to tuck mine.. i got a cherry picker and motor stand.. i been doing lil shit to make the motor look better while i wait for all the suspension parts to arrive, i was interested in the mini me swap and was looking to buy a sohc v tec head and block but one of my buddies said i already it.. i know the valve cover normally says v tec on it and wanted to know if there is anyother way to find out if its v tec or not
look for the green vtec connector near the distributor:

1-jpg.28185

looking at your previous pictures, it does look like you have vtec pressure switch there...

Briansol quick question... i started ordering parts but wanted to know about the tranny.. i was gonna order a cm stage 4 clutch kit and light weight fly wheel to put on my d16a motor.. i seen there was different stages and dont know were to start

You aren’t building for power I would go with a different clutch. Like an ACT 2600 or whatnot if they still make em.

if you are going to turbo it, a higher stage would be better to hold the power.

but, anything after a stage 1.5 is harder to drive, rattles and makes your car sound like a shit box, and isn't fun in traffic.

you need to decide what is best for you in terms of trade offs of power holding vs drivability vs logevity.

depends on the part... what are you looking for?

i sold my lil bro this red civic in the picture...not sure exactly what motor it has in it, and the other day he mentioned swapping the k series out of his car and slapping it in my hatchback and i thought to myself you dont have a k series in the civic i sold you... like a dummy i had forgot that he has a acura tsx on the side of the shop and today he mentioned it again and i said fool your civic dont have a k series!! he said the acura does and i was like oh yeah huh.... he offered to give me the whole car for five hundred bucks and now im stuck... okay fellas i wanted to know what yall think i should do? i been all over you tube checking out k swaps and dont look like much to it... or am i wrong? the i aready ordered a bunch of new parts for my d16.. i honestly have some money to play around with and not in a rush to finish it... i can keep my d16 on the stand and build it there and still do the k swap.. let me know if im trippen or not

Attachments

• IMG-1189.jpg
    IMG-1189.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-1188.jpg
    IMG-1188.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG-1187 (1).jpg
    IMG-1187 (1).jpg
    418 KB · Views: 182
Back