Heres my setup: should I go vafc or hondata?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

Im lookin to do an all motor setup and want to do some tuning. Just debating whether it will be worth it to switch to obd1 hondata or not.

JDM B16A
2.5 CAI
JDM DC 4-1 Header
Apexi ws 60mm catback
Skunk2 stage 2 cams
Skunk2 valve springs
Skunk2 cam gears
AEM fuel rail
B&M fuel pressure regulator
MSG fuel pressure gauge
MSD 6A-L discharge
MSD Pro cap
MSD Blaster 2 coil and wire
Accel 8.8 mm spark plug wires
Ngk laser platinum spark plugs
MSD 9000 rpm pill

Dynoed without tuning 160 whp 117 tq

planning on getting an aebs tb, rmf header, and maybe some head porting.

Originally posted by b16coupe@Jun 27 2005, 10:56 PM
For that setup, definitely Hondata > VAFC.

:werd:

or possibly uberdata

I'm not sure but I bet with thoes cams you would benefit more with higher compression.
[post=517185]Quoted post[/post]​

Abso-fuckin'-lutly. You are way over cammed right now.

And I don't totaly agree with these guys either, even though Hondata is a way better tuning device over all, the vafc will not blow your motor up, you most likely wont see any more peak wheel power from the Hondata, and converting to OBD1 can be costly and is often illegal in most states. If you are already OBD1 then of course, Hondata or Uberdata would be the obvious choice. But for OBD2 cars I recomend the AEM EMS. Granted, it's not cheap, but it's all you will ever need even if you decide to go FI later in the future...

Just my .02 cents

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 27 2005, 09:15 PM-->
@Jun 27 2005, 10:56 PM
For that setup, definitely Hondata > VAFC.

:werd:

or possibly uberdata

I'm not sure but I bet with thoes cams you would benefit more with higher compression.
[post=517185]Quoted post[/post]​

Abso-fuckin'-lutly. You are way over cammed right now.

And I don't totaly agree with these guys either, even though Hondata is a way better tuning device over all, the vafc will not blow your motor up, you most likely wont see any more peak wheel power from the Hondata, and converting to OBD1 can be costly and is often illegal in most states. If you are already OBD1 then of course, Hondata or Uberdata would be the obvious choice. But for OBD2 cars I recomend the AEM EMS. Granted, it's not cheap, but it's all you will ever need even if you decide to go FI later in the future...

Just my .02 cents
[post=517202]Quoted post[/post]​

Its obd0 pr3 ecu. Ive decided to go hondata, but its alot more expensive. Hope its worth it.

also turbo edit is cool....and get an osrtrich....from moates.net.....it lets you make changes on the fly and no need to burn chips

Originally posted by formby@Jul 4 2005, 07:28 PM
also turbo edit is cool....and get an osrtrich....from moates.net.....it lets you make changes on the fly and no need to burn chips
[post=520548]Quoted post[/post]​

I heard turboedit doesnt support vtec?

For unber, honata, etc i would need to convert to obd1.

If i do hondata along with the conversion it'll run me about 1000

The vafc for $200 is looking very tempting now. Will i see much more of a gain from hondata, uber, crome, than the vafc?

Originally posted by BigBoy@Jul 4 2005, 07:39 PM

I heard turboedit doesnt support vtec?
[post=520571]Quoted post[/post]​

sure does, it uses the a/c switch to activate it.

wtf....yes turbo edit is like a free version of hondata...it supports everything you need to tune you ecu...all the parts you need will cost you around 250...if you buy the ostrich

Get a socketed pm6, turboedit, and the NG55(?) bin, and modify it to your liking on an ostrich or romulator, as turboedit supports both chip emulators. I'd also recommend the datalogging mod from gotspeed.com

If you are interested, I have an older (but brand new) Hondata 4b. fully loaded. It was the previous version right before the s200 setup came out, but it is made for OBD 0 setups. I have now converted to OBD 1 and this does me no good. brand new in the box, never installed. hit me up if you are interested.

matt

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jul 5 2005, 05:16 PM
If you are interested, I have an older (but brand new) Hondata 4b. fully loaded. It was the previous version right before the s200 setup came out, but it is made for OBD 0 setups. I have now converted to OBD 1 and this does me no good. brand new in the box, never installed. hit me up if you are interested.

matt
[post=520991]Quoted post[/post]​

What don't you have? :p

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 5 2005, 01:52 PM
Get a socketed pm6, turboedit, and the NG55(?) bin, and modify it to your liking on an ostrich or romulator, as turboedit supports both chip emulators. I'd also recommend the datalogging mod from gotspeed.com
[post=520974]Quoted post[/post]​

NG60 is the current ROM

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jul 6 2005, 04:08 AM-->
@Jul 5 2005, 05:16 PM
If you are interested, I have an older (but brand new) Hondata 4b. fully loaded. It was the previous version right before the s200 setup came out, but it  is made for OBD 0 setups. I have now converted to OBD 1 and this does me no good. brand new in the box, never installed. hit me up if you are interested.

matt
[post=520991]Quoted post[/post]​

What don't you have? :p
[post=521312]Quoted post[/post]​

my damn hatch running!

Since you only mentioned a VAFC or Hondata I will say go with Hondata, sorry Shadney I think that AEM EMS is too expensive and not necessary for this guys setup. Just my .02

crome pro > *

go to obd1, and get crome pro. its worth it. puts to shame ubercraper, and is way more versitle than honcrapa

Originally posted by ryan89crx+Jul 6 2005, 09:22 AM-->
MikeBergy
@Jul 5 2005, 01:52 PM
[post=520974]Quoted post[/post]​

NG60 is the current ROM
[post=521464]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I knew they updated it when they updated TE a couple months or so ago. I haven't had time to update everything yet.

Back