Hi guys - D16W5 help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Paulpen

Hi guys - sorry for the bad etiquette of making my first post a technical question but im rather stumped and you d series people will know one hell of alot more than me !

My brother managed to buy a Honda Hr-v 2 weeks ago and has been loving it until it lost all compression on cylinder 1 and knocks its head off - turns out that he has run it out of oil and rather than rebuild we would rather just replace so he can get to work and back asap !

The trouble is that the D16W5 seems impossible to find for anything near sensible money or at all so im curious how close it is to other members of the D series family ?

All I know about the D16W5 is that its VTEC-E and only found in 2000-2006 Honda Hr-v's :( with the following specs :
+ Displacement:1,590 cc (97 cu in)
+ Bore and Stroke : 75 × 90 mm (3.0 × 3.5 in)
+ Power : 122 hp (91 kW)

After alot of reading (and searching ;))ive narrowed my options down to the following :
D16Y8 as its VTEC already

D16W1 that is the non VTEC Hr-v engine and swap the (possibly broken) head and hope the VTEC oil feed is there

D16Y5 thats is apparantly a Civic VTEC-E engine

D16Z6 also a Civic VTEC engine

D16W2 has also been suggested but I dont know any specs or what its from :S

We basically need something that will just swap and work without changing looms, ecu's, oil feeds etc. I know the inlet manifold will need swapping as the D16W5 one seems unique as do a few other things like the fuel rail, rocker cover, mounts etc

Once again sorry for a terrible first post :(

Paul

I'd likely go with the the y8 but you may have to change out the wiring harness I'm not sure if the vtec-e harness is just plug and play with the y8 ecu, and engine harness. If you had to swap out the harness I'd go with the jdm d15b though

Last edited:
I'd likely go with the the y8 but you may have to change out the wiring harness I'm not sure if the vtec-e harness is just plug and play with the y8 ecu, and engine harness. If you had to swap out the harness I'd go with the jdm d15b though

Yea the Y8 seems closest in both specifications and build year so guess thats the route to follow.

As for the loom there is only one way to find out I guess :eek:

Back