how much boost to run

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mjfubar

How much boost could a b16 with JE 10.1 piston with eagle rods, port polished head, titanium valve springs and retainers, micropolished crank, SC34 (T3/T4E) turbo and intercooler hold up under. also running hondata to comtrol everything.

How long would you like it to hold up? From what I understand it all depends on the tuner, It's hard to tell. Do you have any other fuel stuff besides Hondata; Injectors, Fuel pump?

yea 550 injectors 255 lph fuel pump aem rail and regulator
well hold up for a while just dump all my money into putting all that stuff in

My brother has run 18 psi on a T3T4 turbo for a year now on STOCK internals... only valvesprings were upgraded. I don't recommend that because I'm surprised his has lasted this long. But 10-12 psi would be a SAFE bet. It will all depend on the cylinder walls.

550s and hondata will take you to the mid 300's if you want to go there.
you are going to need the 3-bar map sensor to go above 11 psi.

but, don't go for psi- go for power on a oslid tune

He means that 10 psi on a t25 wont be the same as 10 psi on an SC61. Tune out the bugs and get the AFR to make the most power but still be safe. Tunetunetune

Or at least thats what i THINK he meant. :ph34r:

Originally posted by NoJokE@Dec 30 2003, 11:08 PM
He means that 10 psi on a t25 wont be the same as 10 psi on an SC61. Tune out the bugs and get the AFR to make the most power but still be safe.

No, its a balance between lag and full boost, running boost that fuel system can handle, etc. psi will still be the same on any turbo.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 30 2003, 10:32 PM
psi will still be the same on any turbo.

nope, different turbo's push different cfm's causing more or less stress on components. More Cfm's=more pressure=more wear.

no joke is right... and my typo of SOLID may have screwed up some people's interpretations.

lag and spool have nothing to do with this.

its just that people keep saying "i wanna run 10 pounds" well, good for you. its a meaningless number, and simply shows you know nothing about turbo systems.

yea i am getting to get that bitch tuned as soon as i can but right now having problems with injectors and filling my cylanders with gas i think its from the hondata

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 31 2003, 12:26 AM
no joke is right... and my typo of SOLID may have screwed up some people's interpretations.

lag and spool have nothing to do with this.

its just that people keep saying "i wanna run 10 pounds" well, good for you. its a meaningless number, and simply shows you know nothing about turbo systems.

PSI dont mean anything when it come to turbo.
it depend on what turbo and what trim ur running.

ofcourse a TD04 with 10lbs is a lot different from
Greddy T66 turbo.

PSI mean jack shit

Tell psi would mean something if your talking in terms of what stock internals can handle, am i wrong? cause i get what B's sayin yet i still like to think in terms of PSI though when i do im not thinking of a specific hp number in mind, i mean what ever i can get hp wise on a SAFE amount of boost makes me happy.

Thinking of it the way i descriebd is right, right? i mean as long as im not doing it but expecting a specfic HP number? if im not explain please cause i would like to understad better if what i just said is wrong.

can some one explain what you people mean by "trim"

no.

psi is a pressure of air measured at the map sensor. thats it. it says NOTHING about its volume. air volume, or CFM (cubic feet per min) of air is what gets into your motor (a turbo compresses air remember) and combusts with fuel.

1231231232 psi at 10cfm of air will get you 2 hp.
5 psi at 3432423 cfm of air will get you 343242323 hp.

setting up a car for X psi is rediculous, and simply, is meaningless without knowing EXACTLY what Y turbo flows CFM-wise at X psi. moreover, every motor is different, and a compressor map will only take you so far.

moreover, "safe" is more relative than anything. it really comes down to fuel tuning.
i know plenty of people running 300 whp cars on completely stock LS motors and run fine.
i also know of a few 500+ whp motors running on stock sleeves.
but, i also know of countless upon countless motors that have blown up on 6psi drag kits, 200 whp boomers, and all that.

air needs fuel. its a simple concept. and yet, everyone fucking skimps out on fuel management. i so don't understand.

trim is a term used to define the wheel blade's angle. the angle the blade sits at effects power potential/spool//etc

Originally posted by mjfubar@Jan 12 2004, 07:19 PM
yea i am getting to get that bitch tuned as soon as i can but right now having problems with injectors and filling my cylanders with gas i think its from the hondata

sounds like your basemap is off, or your injectors are bigger than the base map calls for.

you need to be more specific about your problem for us to help you dude.

1231231232 psi at 10cfm of air will get you 2 hp.
5 psi at 3432423 cfm of air will get you 343242323 hp.

thanks foo! see i didnt realise that psi was only at the map sensor, and your lil example was good i understand what you mean thanks for clearing that up.

Back