HOW TO: change a distributor o-ring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
well, i had read a write up somewhere on how to do this.. so it seemed pretty simple and i thought i'd make my own to share with all of you.. it took about 15-20 and thats with taking pictures along the way. .

first, get a straight edge to mark the stock timing ( i used a wire stripper that was sitting near by) but any straight edge will do.. like so

distr_Oring_howto003.jpg

now get a nail or a screw and make a mark across the top so you can line it up.. and it also marks where the stock timing should be.. :thumbsup: for those who wanna adjust timing..

distr_Oring_howto004.jpg

i was told to loosen the bolt nearest the firewall first.. using a 12mm box wrench

distr_Oring_howto001.jpg

then move to the one nearest the front of the car, i had to use a rachet here w/ a long extension.. again 12mm

distr_Oring_howto007.jpg

then remove the top one, being careful not to turn the distributor,

distr_Oring_howto002.jpg

now once you have those removed, slowly pull the distributor off being careful not to turn it.. unless you want a headache.. it should look like this now

distr_Oring_howto005.jpg

using a flathead screwdriver pry off the old o-ring, mine just broke when i did this ( that saying it needed to be replaced...

now get your new o-ring and take it out of the package, yes this one.. its about $2 from Honda.. part # 30110 PA1 732
i got a bit of oil on the tip of my finger and lubed up the o-ring so i slide in place

distr_Oring_howto006.jpg

reverse steps for putting the distributor back on, again being careful not to turn anything..

distr_Oring_howto008.jpg

now let fire it up and see if it idles fine.. WOO HOO!!..

feel free to move this to General Tech Articles if you feel it is suffice

Hello People, Im Sorry I Dont Know How To Post A Message On Hte Board, I Just Wanted To Know Dose Any Body Have Any Pictures Of How To Wire A Fuse Box With All The Wiring On An Eg6 Vti Dohc, As I Need Help Urgently, Please Can Anybody Help? Cheers. P.s Or Evan Web Site Where I Can Find A Step By Step Diagram. Cheers.

i was told to loosen the bolt nearest the firewall first.. using a 12mm box wrench

I can be so stupid at times, I tried taking off my dizzy yesterday to check something and gave up cause I couldn't get the top bolt off with a rachet cause of how the cap is in the way. Didn't even think to use a box wrench.:mad: Though the fact that I was up for 19 hours and tried doing this when I got off work in the morning when it was like 12 degrees might have slowed my mind.

I can be so stupid at times, I tried taking off my dizzy yesterday to check something and gave up cause I couldn't get the top bolt off with a rachet cause of how the cap is in the way. Didn't even think to use a box wrench.:mad: Though the fact that I was up for 19 hours and tried doing this when I got off work in the morning when it was like 12 degrees might have slowed my mind.

I would have said im tired, cold and hungry.......................fuck it ill do it tomorrow. And then probably not get around to it for a month or so.

I would have said im tired, cold and hungry.......................fuck it ill do it tomorrow. And then probably not get around to it for a month or so.

Yep that was my plan well sort of. I went inside hopped on the computer while my girl made breakfast then went to sleep round 9 expecting to wake up round 3 and work on it again. But I guess I was hella tired, didn't wake up till 8:30

LMAO
Yeah working long ass shifts and trying to keep up with the car............blows major ass.

Nice write-up bro.

One thing, you don't nessesarily have to be 'so' carefull about turning the dizzy.
If it's 180* out, you'll know immediatly by it having a good 1/8"-3/16" gap to the head. In which case you just take it out and spin it around 180* and throw it back in.

Great job though. very informative! :thumbsup:

If this needs to be a General Tech sticky:)eek: ), I volunteer to make my own this weekend on "Tightening Lugnuts".

eg6sir

I just changed the o-ring very easy to do. (Thanks to this thread) Started up with no problems. Wiped the old oil that drip below then went ride for an hour dive. Came home, pop the hood and no oil for now. Now, what I have left to do is the valve cover gasket, cam seal, and pan gasket. Did the PCV valve and hose and that must have been what made gasket on the valve cover leaked. (Back up pressure)

This is what I call a write up.

Hey thanks so much for the pictures and the explanations, you absolutely gave the best explanation on how to do this I hve seen around. I do have a question for you tho.

mark across the top so you can line it up.. and it also marks where the stock timing should be

what are you trying to line up with what? what is this mark for?

the mark is for the stock timing.. so everything lines up before you took it apart

to clarify for Jcaleno.... the whole distributor pivots to adjust timing, so you will want to mark it so you put it back on the same. youll see when you loosen the bolts.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. Now do I need to remove the distributor? All i'm doing is replacing the o-ring. Isn't just a matter of removing the dist cap and maybe rotor and sliding the old oring out and putting the new one in?

Back