Ignition Upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sprocker

I am building my block to handle moderate boost and shooting for 250-300 whp, do you think the stock ignition is good enough for this or will I need an ignition upgrade! I mean I have the usual, colder plugs, new OEM wires, dist., ETC. but I don't really want to buy an MSD ignition right now since I am spending so much on the block and getting the AEM EMS and tuning! Thanks for any suggestions, this is a daily driver not a race set-up so I need reliablity. Thanks.

normaly the rule of thumb is to upgrade when your pushing close to 400 hp and or 10000 rpms. It is not a total nessitity (SP?) Since your going to be pushing 300 whp, you will probally have about 350 at the crank (give or take 10 hp) so i would say that you can hold off on that for a while.

I've seen several dyno's where iridium plugs and an aftermarket ignition system made an extra 20+hp on turbo motors. You can probably hold off for now but if you boost more later you can have your spark snuffed or too weak to get nice propegation of the flame front across the piston. Ignition is pretty cheap and you can run it off of the AEM system. You'll be able to tell on a dyno graph when you're done if it's needed now.

aftermarket ignition is really only needed on forced inducted cars. so if ur boosting i would do it.

Originally posted by turborex13@Feb 26 2003, 05:26 PM
aftermarket ignition is really only needed on forced inducted cars. so if ur boosting i would do it.

thats not true

OEM Honda Ignitions are some of the best in the world regarding stock ignitions

you only need to upgrade the iginition when you are doing a full on race setup or pushing well over 350 whp

well whatever your preference is then i guess. all i know is i noticed much crisper throttle response with my msd 6al. more so after i boosted my car. whatever floats ur boat.

Back