Inside The H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Hey Im still wondering about this h22 thing! Im thinking about doing it and I was wondering is there a gain when doing the internals on these! Im sure there is a hell of a lot more reliablity when sleeving them and new rods and ect! But is there any kind of actual gain of hp on it? I doubt that i will run any power adders such as turbos because of my past horror storys with them on my f22... I may consider nitrous again but only if i build this new motor up. Also what can i expect to run for rpms with it all built up such as the full bottom and top end? Sorry these are a pretty broad kinds of questions im just making sure its going to be worth sticking 2,000 into a motor thats not going to make anymore power than when it was stock.. Get me? thanks a lot and appreciate your feedback... Oh one more last thing If i do go ahead and add a turbo!! Do these h22's mate with turbos and actually run well and are safe and reliable... I know the f22 turbo sucked balls! Thanks so much

You'll obviously gain power if you run higher compression pistons or more aggressive cams. You can also free up tiny bits of power if you go with lighter rods or pistons, since you're decreasing rotating mass.

If you completely build your top and bottom ends, I don't see any reason why you couldn't rev to 9000. But remember, rpm stands for "ruins peoples' motors'.

The real question though is how much more noticable is it when you do add these parts? I dont see why a person would waste 2,000+ dollars and not get much for results and i know 2,000 is worth more than 30hp! Thanks DOHC

It depends on what you're doing. If you're going from stock JDM H22A compression (10.6:1) to something much higher (say 12.5:1), sure you're going to feel a difference. You'll also feel a difference if you install some aggressive cams. The thing is, if you want to do something like those two things I just mentioned, you need to have a valvetrain and bottom end to handle the upgrades. What it boils down to is....running n/a is costly, and for the $3000 you spend to squeeze out 50 horses, you could have a decent turbo setup that nets you 80 horses and loads more torque.

Assuming that Im going to run the h22 stock and buy myself a turbo.. running about 5psi! How well do turbos work with the h22's and there computer?? What do i have to do when i run this amount of boost? And do you know anyone with a turbo h22! I just really dont want to end up having all the problames i did when i had my f22 on boost! Thanks

i talk to many many people that have turbo'd H22s. 5psi would not be a problem. you might want to get lower compression pistons, but so long as u dont up the boost to say 9psi you should be fine. I imagine that it cant be any different than running boost from an H22 turbo. So long as you don't run too lean air/fuel ratio. As i understand, H22s run slightly rich so that should not be a problem either

Hey Dohc.........i believe that the h22a likes to cough when u turbo it...cause of the Vtec.....What is the reasoning...and what do u suggest for a 97 honda prelude vtec....with a full skunk 2 exhaust, AEM intake(possibly a V2 intake if i get any good news on my latest post) and a DC header. I have a venom 400 module as well. What type of tuning do u suggest before i run a t3/t4, and what hp should i be expecting. Thanks alot....TTYL
:worthy:

Just out of curiosity, does the Venom help on the H22? I had one on my 96 Nissan Pickup and all it really did is made it bog majorly off the line.

i saw alot of improvement for sure...i think i got around 20% more hp...i can really feel it.......for sho.....i think it is a great by..and it can be hooked up with other computers(ie: Jet or Hondata) I recommend it to everyone.... :ph34r:

20% more horsepower? You mean, like 40 more horses by plugging in a module? Doubtful....:bs:

I agree, I did some reading after I bought mine and from what I understand, it just makes your engine think that you're at Wide Open Throttle when you've got the pedal 3/4 of the way down.

There is no real info in that link.

You won't be dissapointed with the motor..after you rebild the whole thing it will be strong as hell(as long as it was bilt right) and be able to handle some hard driving. Forged Highcompression pistons make a HUGE difference and so do aggressive cams. Get yourself a VAFC and tune it and you will be a domestic killa :D

Back