J35 swap into 4th Gen Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xanatos

Village Idiot
VIP
So I know I said the Prelude was not going to be a project. But we recently took possession of a 2002 MDX with the 3.5L J series motor. The Accord that ran parallel to the 4th gen 'Lude was from 93-97, and a number of parts from the H23 swap I did originated in the 4th gen.

Because the 93-97 accord also had an optional V6, this would lead me to believe that the Prelude could accept one and the swap may even be doable with a number of OEM parts. Unfortunately I cannot find anything for this swap in the 4th gens. Frankly my new favorite Honda chassis just doesn't seem to get any love.

Does anyone have information that may be useful/help? I'm trying to figure out if this is a reasonable undertaking or not.
Thanks as always.

the v6 chassis is different than the i4, mount wise at least. but, there are of course mount kits for the J's these days.
i was also under the impression that you want to use the J's from the cars, not the trucks, due to misc things like intake manifolds and whatnot.

can it be done? sure.
is it reasonable? meh....

Right I just wonder how different the chassis are. When I did the H23 Accord my mindset was to convert the engine bay of a 96 Accord to a 1996 Prelude SI to receive the motor, so in my head I can reverse engineer this by turning the Prelude engine bay into that of a 96 Accord V6, and one of my neighbors has a 95-97 with the V6 thats been sitting in their yard forever, I may be able to take some measurements and pictures.

I'd start by taking some measurements. While similar in design, I have a feeling the J series out of the MDX is going to be a good amount taller than you're expecting.

I also believe it will fit but height will be a issue , but cut the hood and be gangster or be like me for like 20 cars and dont run a hood lolol my buddy carson put a gm 3.8 supercharger on his jseries acura
16114734_997697467030874_7039853959023952098_n.jpg

After some research it looks like it would be a little too expensive/too much work so I'll probably just sell the motor. another issue I ran into is that the motor in the 5th gen accord is actually a C series (which i was not familiar with) which is totally completely different than the J series. The only swap I could find was a J swap into an accord coupe, which used EG mounts to get the job done with some fabrication, and almost everything else was custom

Hopefully this thread will at least help someone down the road that has the same question I did. Oh wait. People don't search before they post. Nevermind.

Hopefully this thread will at least help someone down the road that has the same question I did. Oh wait. People don't search before they post. Nevermind.
Not searching before posting makes me fkn lose it, or hey my shit doesnt run what do I do post

Back