JDM B16 into my 90 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

underDx

hi guys i'm new here and i just bought a 90 civic dx hatch ,and i want to put in a B16 but i live in so-cal and the only B16 that i can swap in with almost no problems is the 1st g B16 with cable tranny , BUT its a JDM B16 and i dont think it'l pass smog here in cali ... so my ? is, is there a way to help a JDM B16 pass smog test? what parts do i need to change ? do i need a different ecu?
please help thank you

Originally posted by underDx@May 14 2005, 11:18 PM
hi guys i'm new here and i just bought a 90 civic dx hatch ,and i want to put in a B16 but i live in so-cal and the only B16 that i can swap in with almost no problems is the 1st g B16 with cable tranny , BUT its a JDM B16 and i dont think it'l pass smog here in cali ... so my ? is, is there a way to help a JDM B16 pass smog test? what parts do i need to change ? do i need a different ecu?
please help thank you
[post=499423]Quoted post[/post]​

Not sure about the specifics, but JDM motors CAN pass smog in cali. Ive even seen some that got bar-certified. You should be fine as long as you have all the original smog equipment and dont do any engine mods until you pass.

Originally posted by underDx@May 15 2005, 01:18 AM
please help thank you
[post=499423]Quoted post[/post]​

as far as parts u need to change..u must do an obd-0 to obd-1 conversion...claim it as a dohc vtec del sol sir-2 motor..if u wanna bar it...it also depends if u have to smog check it or if it has to go to a test only....be careful with the test only u dont want ur car to get red flagged...b.t.w. i know a guy who can smog ya..fuck the laws :D haha im playin pm me if u need the info

Flagged means you have to go to the ref and the ref will be a dick to you unless you're coming to them on your own free will because any Engine Swapped car in California must visit the Smog Referee to be legally driven.
They're nice to you if you just show up and say "i just did this engine swap and want to make it legal, can you tell me what i need to do?"

You have to become a DelSol basically =) OBD1 P30 ECU (nothing else)
USDM B16 Intake Manifold OR Skunk2 Carb Legal (must get sticker with product)
Everything wired correctly - http://www.rywire.com
It'll run you around 800$ to go OBD1 correctly, most expensive part is going to be the P30 ECU, people hunt for them for months. Try to find someone you can rent it from just for passing Ref inspection then use a P28 chipped the rest of the year.

checkout norcalcrx.org too, there are several Bar Certified cars on there.
(i only point this other forum out because its california specific, no disrespect to the owners of honda-swap.com <3)

hey droppedcrxsi, a p30 is a jdm ecu, so how would that smog here in us. i also live in cali and have a obd-1 b16 and jus bought an o2 sensor from rywire.com (great site by the way) and was wondering how u could smog on a jdm ecu. i always thought u needed a p28. i also need to smog once i get the car running and the ecu is the last thing i need and i dont want to waste money on sumthin that wont work.

The P30 was also the USDM DelSol vtec ECU.

Basically what it boils down to is, in order to smog a JDM motor, it has to conform to the US equivolent, which in this case the closest thing is the 94-97 DelSol vtec, OR the 92-93 GSR. Either way you have to convert it to be functional with the OBD I USDM ECU, and retain all US emssions and not throw a CEL.

Back