Keep Motor Or Not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mech

Banned
I have a '90 Acura Integra, with a stock B18a. This is a very weird Phenomena, All my car has is a gutted interior, an intake and octane booster and I walk all over Si's. And when I say Si's I mean Every generation. I killed a '02 by at least 2 car lengths. Integra's of my same year with way more add ons than I have don't come close. I raced a GT mustang and it only beat me by 3/4 of a car. I took my car to the track before I started racing it and ran a 16.4 at best. Has my motor just amazingly gotton better? or Have I got better at driving? If my motor just pulls real stong then I may not even do a swap. I'll just put some st.2 Cams with Cam gears, Headers and a Cat back and I'll be pretty straight. Has this happened to any of you, or seen it happen? What's going on here?

there is always driver error involved. perhaps the people you "killed" just suck.

16.4 is not fast. i would start with your LS block and slap a VTEC head on there, or just boost it.

That's the thing though. Before about a month ago I couldn't beat anything worth Shit. Now, I'm killin em, and I don't think that 15 Si owners all suck at driving. I don't know how you could screw up in an automatic GT Stang with aftermarket parts.

probably they were just giving you a break, probably you were powershifting, doubl clutchin, like a mad man.....but hey who knows, best is build that motor.....

Not to bust your bubbles or anything but 16.4 is just about what a stock Neon runs. You gotta consider every factors though when you're racing; like reaction time, burn out time, etc... I've done 15.5 on my 94 HB, when I just got my car 9 years ago, with just headers and exhaust. Tell you what, I wasn't impress at all 'cuz the time slip says alot. Try LS/VTEC and you'll feel the difference!

i agree with everybody here, there was probably some kind of driver error on their parts because 16's isn't something to brag about

anyway, if you want to go n/a, go lsvtec and build bottom end and do it right. if you want to boost, save money for a sweet turbo setup to go with your ls. but the most important thing is to rebuild your motor. good luck.

I don't Believe I'm still running 16's; and yea 16 is slow, I'll even say very slow. Either My car is running about a 15.8 or people just need to learn how to drive.

And 15.8 is slow too. All I'm saying is that I shouldn't be running that quick. I never said I was FAST by any means.

Build the block and head up....port and polish, it'll make you breath easier....running n/a tune up with the LS is a great thing if most of the cars you race are below 15....but later on if you want to, slap on a turbo.

my 96 coupe with a b16a2 (same as 99 si) totally stock ran a 15.2... must be driver errors

beleive it or not, when engine mileage gets up there, the carbon buildup in the cylinders actually can add to its performance by increasing compression. i did not make this up. also, if you run synthetc oils regularly or certain oil additives, they can create a thick hard film on your cylinder walls, increasing compression.

i would keep the motor..and just get it rebuilt when you want to upgrade. i am considering rebuilding my engine because i know it runs great and has no problems at all. have heard some scary swap stories and am somewhat afraid of buying some POS thats gonna keep breaking down on me. there are the leakdown and compression tests yes, but still...scary swap stories are out there.

If you beat 15 si's with what u got there is somethin wrong with there cars
because my 93 si has put down 2 for 2 integra ls's with good mods. And my engine has 180k on it. <_<

Finally an answer to my question. Thanks. Carbon build and synthetic oil makes sense now that I think about it.

Back