Knock Sensor CEL question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

Ok so I have a CEL on and I took the code off of it (blinking light) and it was 23 which is a knock sensor. My car is 95 civic and the CEL code list says 23 is for 96-98 civics...i'm guessing that's b/c usdm civics (92-95) didn't have knock sensors but jdm si's obviously did..also what about 99-00 Si's those have em too..

I was reading an article on a ls/vtec build in sport compact and it said that if the ecu throws a knock sensor code that vtec will be disabled..and mine is engaging fine (about 6000rpm). First off is this true? And if so how can i find out what is really wrong if it's not what the ecu says it is...

On a side note the knock sensor CEL suprised me b/c the IACV sensor is hooked up but the hoses to/from it are not..so i thought it would have been that...

Car: 95 civic, jdm b16a sir2, p30 ecu

Lol sorry i got carried away with description and forgot the most important part:

95 civic, b16a sir2, p30 ecu...

ok, and did you run the wire from the back of the block to trhe ecu?

the knock sensor wire? yea it's wired to the ecu, my bad if that's not what you're talking about

yeah thats what i'm talking about.

ok, so everything should be hooked up correctly.

and you're throwing a code for knock....

so either:
A- the sensor itself is bad
or
B- you're knocking REAL freakin bad... perhaps a timing issue
or
C- you really didin't wire it up right to the right pin, or it has a shitty connection.

Right, i know what could be wrong if it actually is a knock sensor...i'm trying to verify (1) if VTEC will or will not engage with a bad knock sensor, (2) why code 23 is only listed for 96-98 civics...

I should also say that it is not always on once you really rev the car and/or it warms up it will come on...

1) not sure. i always disable that useless freaking sensor in a chip tune :)
2) the 5th gen civics don't have one... only the b-series. and besides, thats just a generic list for assumable STOCK cars.

Gotcha, I just wanted to check b/c 99-00 civic si wasn't listed for code 23...

Is there a way to test the sensor itself if it's bad? I know for like ECT sensors or TPS you can test with a multimeter..

Originally posted by ericL@Aug 17 2005, 12:42 PM

Is there a way to test the sensor itself if it's bad? I know for like ECT sensors or TPS you can test with a multimeter..
[post=541270]Quoted post[/post]​

found out that mine was hooked up w evap plug...so look at that.

Originally posted by HondaVTEC93+Sep 5 2005, 01:58 PM-->
@Aug 17 2005, 12:42 PM

Is there a way to test the sensor itself if it's bad?  I know for like ECT sensors or TPS you can test with a multimeter..
[post=541270]Quoted post[/post]​

found out that mine was hooked up w evap plug...so look at that.
[post=549788]Quoted post[/post]​

So the wrong plug was used and was throwing a code? The plug on mine is green and has two slots for wires, one is plugged.

I tested the wire for continuity and it was fine. THe gauge of wire used was 16 ga, is that too thick (causing a CEL?)

as far as you vtec engaging question....yeah vtec will still engage. My vtec engaged when my knock sensor wasn't hooked up! i later took a closer look and hooked it back up.
LS/VTEC with pw0

Aight well i noticed that the wire wasn't very far in the clip (that goes into the ecu) so i took it out and put it in a little further and now the CEL is gone. Hopefully it's gone for good, thanks for all the feedback

Back