Lets have some good news

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 31 2005, 11:27 PM
I'll tell your ass right now, i would not be flying to johnnycake air port in burlington, and then hiking 7-8 miles to go to my house.

and i'll tell you right now, there isn't a patch of land big enough for a new air port anywhere in bristol.

[post=548146]Quoted post[/post]​

Well then i guess you need a helicopter . . . . :ph34r:

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 1 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm curious as to WHY gas prices are going up.. Not politics, not scandals, nothing like that. Where the shit is all of this money going??

I mean, If they could pump a gallon of gas out of the ground, refine it, deliver it, and pump it into your vehicle for $1.00 back in 2000, what the hell has changed so much that it costs 3 times that? We ARE NOT running out of oil.. I don't give a damn what anyone says. I would expect gas to go up via inflation. From 2000 to now, maybe a 10 percent increase? So why the 300 percent increase? Did they switch to diamond tipped drills??

Someone's pockets are getting FAT. I know everything points to politics.. taxes.. towel headed bastards in the middle east.. but I KNOW they can sell it at $1.00 a gallon. They've done it. They did it for years. So why the hell can't they do it now?? Nothing has changed. There is still plenty of oil to go around.
[post=548420]Quoted post[/post]​

gas companies have more than enough profit to GIVE AWAY gas for over 7 years and STILL not lose any money...

it's a necessity in today's life. if you want to go somewhere, you gotta have gas. you can only search so much before needing to fill up somewhere. and they know SOMEONE will pay it, so they just keep hiking it up. sure, barrel prices affect it, but they are taking advantage of it.

and yes, we're not OUT of oil, but there's not an endless supply of it... do you really think that only fuel is made from petrolium? how about plastics? how about some of the additives in your food? margarine is fucking plastic... made from petrolium by products. hahaha.

It is all about greed.. It is retarded that the person that is running the country/world has to be one of the greediest person's i have ever seen.

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Sep 1 2005, 08:17 PM
gas companies have more than enough profit to GIVE AWAY gas for over 7 years and STILL not lose any money...

it's a necessity in today's life. if you want to go somewhere, you gotta have gas. you can only search so much before needing to fill up somewhere. and they know SOMEONE will pay it, so they just keep hiking it up. sure, barrel prices affect it, but they are taking advantage of it.

and yes, we're not OUT of oil, but there's not an endless supply of it... do you really think that only fuel is made from petrolium? how about plastics? how about some of the additives in your food? margarine is fucking plastic... made from petrolium by products. hahaha.
[post=548503]Quoted post[/post]​

margarine powered cars for teh win!

WE WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF OIL!!!!!!!!!

it CANT happen

its fucking impossible

getting oil out of the ground costs money

some is easy to get and doesnt cost too much

some is harder to get and costs more

the cost goes up the harder it is to get it

so obviously the easier oil is gone after first

then when that source gets exhausted another source is found

so as the price of finding and getting oil out of the ground goes up, the more the oil companies need to charge to still profit from it

eventually the price of getting it out of the ground will drive prices so high that no one will pay them

if no one will buy it then no one will drill for it

alternative fuel sources will then become more common because they will FINALLY be more cost effective than fossil fuels

and all that stupidly hard to get oil will sit there in the ground

and that will happen LONG before we even come close to using up ALL of the oil

I still don't think any of your thoughts will happen, but we NEED to figure out a permanent alternative source for fossil fuel..

Quoted post[/post]]
I still don't think any of your thoughts will happen, but we NEED to figure out a permanent alternative source for fossil fuel..
A good idea at the time, conserve,
and petition like hell for alternatives :mrgreen:

Save the ninjas! :ph34r:

Ok, think of it like this:

Your kids will need to be trained in ways that you never thought of. I belie my nature everyday: I'm an I.T. guy that grew up Amish. (Well, not totally amish) but I still learned enough of farming, basic husbandry and arbor knowledge to build upon. And I did this from the Amish village point of view: We all helped each other.

When the crash of cheap comes around, there will STILL be oil... like Eric said. But it will become so tough to get that it can't be used in the ways that it's used today. No more plastics, no more synthetic materials (Polyesters and shit like that) and no more throw-away items. That's about all we'll see the "end" of. Gas will be available at all times - but after a while of it being so damned tough to get (And expensive) we'll break our addictions: And then what's left over is the plummetting prices of Oil so that gasoline will go back down to $1 a gallon. It will still be rare enough to get that driving will remain a luxury or a novelty.

At this point cars will become insignificant. Motorcycles will be common place, people will stay home from work during the rain and snow and work from home (The internet and electricity will still be around: Granted by wind turbines located in your actual town). And while we're on the topic - the bills that you pay for electricity will go directly to the grid, adding or improving windmills as the village need arises. And this is where our hobby gets good:

Airplanes will be on the same level as Cars. It will be just as easy to own an airplane as it is a car today. That means OWN one. And fly it yourself. Not (like Brian suggests) going to an airport and paying someone to fly you to work. Work will be within a reasonable distance from you, and chances are you'll be working with the generators, hydroponics farms, fuel farms, or public works (Or perhaps part-timing at the general store). Travel will be whenever you want, however you want.

The highways will return to the water. Coastal areas will be the concentration of human population, and most everyone will have a sense of boating. We may even have a little boat to get to the big places in. Show up at a port, dock it to a large docking system, and report to the shores for a rental bike or electric car.

You'll have computers, but they will be mostly laptop or tablet. Power efficient and cheap. (And made in the US by large in-land producers who pay their employees well enough to combine with their 8-hour work day (Which most of america no longer adheres to). Insurance will be a bank account that you start and maintain - you work out prices with the doctor or trade services.

Imagine an agrarian life where electronics and math play an important role - your kids will have to be WAY smarter than you to survive in this world. They'll know both farming skills and aerospace skills. They'll have the tools and know-how to not only tinker in the barn, but use high-tolerance machining and blueprinting to perform amazing things.

Cities will be there too - but they will be the financial and production centers of the new world. They will have cheap housing with expensive food. The elderly and meek will primarily live here, trading whatever service they can do (Customer service or Sales) for your real-world trades and skills. The Cities, like today, will have a better public transport system, $100 a month or so stacked-style apartments and $15 sodas, whereas the rural areas will have houses that require a large family to run and maintain, (Thus, high cost) and the food and services will be dirt cheap.

Read that, I'm going to lunch - I'll continue later with this vision

I have no desire to fly a plane. it has too many wheels and doesn't drift very well.
:p

The costal areas will all be destroyed soon. Hurricanes, cali falling into the ocean, and the NW mega Suanmi. yes, a Tsuanmi so strong that it took the T with it.

i was just about to say that you wrote the same thing last year, then i looked at the date :p .

i think thats a good idea of where we are probably going to be in the future, but not anywhere in the near future. i don't think even the youngest person on here will live to see any real changes in our transportation system, other than the environment being more polluted and probably even more ridiculous gas prices.

and since you think that we will go to flying as our main mode of transportation, how do you think we are suppose to deal with all the traffic in the air?

There will be less population. We have upcoming religious wars, energy wars and like B said, tons of natural disasters (We will be having a tsunami here on the East Coast of the US, and possibly worse on the west coast) Solid tornado seasons will make the central plains unlivable and unrebuildable, houses will be destroyed and new houses that are weather proof will need to be built. It'll be neat.

Quoted post[/post]]
There will be less population. We have upcoming religious wars, energy wars and like B said, tons of natural disasters (We will be having a tsunami here on the East Coast of the US, and possibly worse on the west coast) Solid tornado seasons will make the central plains unlivable and unrebuildable, houses will be destroyed and new houses that are weather proof will need to be built. It'll be neat.
Its gonna be a wonderful future :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
I have no desire to fly a plane. it has too many wheels and doesn't drift very well.
:p

The costal areas will all be destroyed soon. Hurricanes, cali falling into the ocean, and the NW mega Suanmi. yes, a Tsuanmi so strong that it took the T with it.

Airplanes don't drift...but the equivilant is a slip....and once you slipped a plane, drifting a car is no fun anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_(aerodynamic)

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/slip.mpg

holy slip of doom. sure in a cesna....but a 777...thats crazy

(im glad it said .br at the end of that clip. I was wondering why i couldnt understand that spanish....it was portuguese)

either way, soon aerial beasts like this will be a faint memory. Putting one up for a single flight will take months of preparation and self-fueling. It'll be interesting, but there is no need for it in a future society - I still believe that flying will be commonplace, un-controlled and cheap.

Why have air traffic controllers when there aren't any of these monsters in the air ? You don't have it in Alaska, you won't it need anywhere.

It would be neat to see what we do with the jet engines when they are decomissioned though. I think we'll see space-going vehicles this size though - and I think it will happen within our lifetime

We're spoiled - and in this case that's good. When the fuels start to become rare and new things will need to be made I believe that we will come through and make them. We have the drive now to get into space, be able to traverse the planet, and move forward with evolution - we won't sit on our laurels and take things as they come. Let the new VW Phaeton plant show you the future of a post-oil world. Let the dome homes show us the future of a hurricane or tornado riddled land, and let the underground homes and efficient homes become the inspiration for the rest of us.

Soon every car will be a hybrid, just like the switch to unleaded fuels. It will happen. Working with these systems and getting massive amounts of power out of them will be as commonplace as hondaswaps, I've said that before. In the late 80s (Before most of you were born apparently) mechanics refused to touch fuel injection systems because they were too complex and not rewarding to tune anyway. We will evolve and when we do we'll start to see power coming out of engines so small they fit in the hubs of the wheel. We will continue to get CF body panels (And even the Israeli spider-web composites) to use in frames and structures. We'll see cars powered on partial renewables like E85 and wind-sourced hydrogen.

Since 3.4 GHz appears to the mathematical limit of computers, that only means that computers will be getting smaller and cheaper. That means your space at work, if you even have a space, will be occupied by the same portable PC that you pack into your bag at night - that runs on very little power. You'll get power at your desk from plugging your hydrogen car into the parking space. All of these things aren't things I'm pulling out of my ass, they are items that are already being tested and used in places. Imagine your company paying mega money instead of spending it on utility bills and shit. You'll generate power at home and bring it with you, it's yours. Buying power off the grid in units that you can appreciate like a bank account with dollars in it.

That Green emissions thing is the start of something like that. Fight these stupid cookie-cutter houses being built everywhere that cost $800,000 and no one can afford without going into debt. Be prepared for the future and the future will work for you.

Adapt, don't piss and moan about this shit. That's the only way to make it work.

Back