lost of antifreeze

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accordex98

what's up guys i have a 96 accord and every few days i have to put anti-freeze in. any ideas what the problem mite be i know it's not mixing with the oil an i dont have any leaks in or under the car anybody have a clue

yeah, you either have a leak in your plumbing or a blown headgasket.

check your overflow and see if the lines are plugged.

does your car smoke?

well if theres no leaks at all then its just has air in the system, just keep adding until it works all of it out.

are you filling it with the car running?

you should pull the cap off, then start your car. the thermostat will open up and you can fill it. it also lets the air out.

DO NOT TAKE OFF CAP AFTER YOU START YOUR CAR!!!!

Bring it to a shop and have them do a coolant flush and exchange. Doesn't cost much, and everything will be good when you get it back, provided it's just air in the system or you don't have some other problem somewhere.

yes i have done dat already
i would fill the car up with antifreeze, then put a bunch of cardboard under the car. let it run for 20 minutes and see if you have a leak.

it's either coming out the engine or the exhaust.

my car did that once two weeks later i was replacing the motor^_^
never did figure out why it did that but when it blew it shot the water pump off and well it goes on from there

they have a UV additive you can put in the coolant system. It's sold in a kit with uv light and glasses. Add the dye, let the car warm up, put on the glasses and shine the light. It will show you where the leak is.

find the leak.
how many miles you drive between refills?
i'm thinking water pump or if you drive lots then rad overflow bottle.
u been changing your water pump w/ ur timing belt?

i had my head gasket go in my accord. it didn't even smoke i just kept loosing coolant. so i changed the head gasket and it was fine.

the only time it would smoke when the head gasket was bad is if i romped the hell outta the car.

Yeah, +1 Ethan. It is either your head gasket or a cooling system component. Here is the list of things you could replace, in case you aren't familiar with that system:

1) Water Pump
2) Radiator
3) Heater Core
4) Upper Radiator Hose
5) Lower Radiator Hose
6) Heater hose head to valve
7) Heater Hose Valve to Firewall
8) Firewall to block
9) Use new OEM Honda clamps on hoses
10) unlikely but possible, small hoses from block to intake manifold idle controls and back

There is a quantitative maximum number of things to do. If it were me, and I wasn't familiar enough with these components to know what they were, I would pay someone to do a standard cooling system pressure test. If you want to fix this thing yourself, PM me and I will explain in painful detail step by step what to do to avoid unnecessary cost and still root it out. I agree with everyone though, run it up to temperature, drive it hard even, then bring it home and park over a bunch of cardboard. Leave it running for a minute, then turn it off. Check it out after like 10 minutes and see if there is so much as a drop from anywhere. If it's dry, and you've added and added coolant, and burped the system and everything, then I'd get a compression test and a cooling system pressure test done for sure. Again, if you want to DIY it, just let me know.

Back