LS build, Going BOOST, is a Vtec head swap worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

panik520

Im in the information building process of building my hatch, i have an LS block and GSR tranny, after doing a fair amount of research I'm 90% convinced that im going to build it up for boost, im looking to get in the 300hp range reliably.

So i'm going to build the bottom end up im going to have it sleeved, get rods, rod bolts, pistons.

problems that i know that should probably be addressed would be the R/S ratio, from what i read, going to a slightly bigger bore at sleeving would help this a little?

but my main question at this time would be head selection, i can get a b16 head at a decent price, is it worth it?

Don't worry about the rod/stroke ratio. Just use quality forged pistons and rods, use ARP fasteners on the rods and the head studs, then have the whole mess 10k spin balanced at a good machine shop. You'll be fine to turn 8000rpm provided your head can breathe and the valve springs can hang.

If you're looking for a reliable 300whp without running into too many problems, I would just forget the B16 head. Yes, it's better for top range breathing, but you can make tons of power without it- and leaving VTEC out of the equation takes out a lot of variables that can hatch big issues later. Tuning is easier and cheaper, head parts are cheaper, no VTEC wiring and hardware etc.

Resleeving to 84mm (right up to 2.0L) and using good forged parts will be enough to handle boost up through 500whp and beyond with the right camshaft and turbo choice.

Back