Ls Vtec Over Heating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ls_vtec_b18a1

my ls vtec over heats with a thermostat in it, i have tried 3 different ones and they all over heat. i got a new water pump and a new rad. even when over heating i do not get heat threw the vents and im am bleeding the bleed screw in the system. could my autometer gauge be missed up cause it seems to get foggy when the car over heats to like 220 and the thermo's are 180. the water in the rad gets hott like the thermo is opening. whats going on here. Does not over heat with u run it with out a thermo.

waz up very sorry about your miss hap.i just finished my ls vtec there are some mods to do with cooly hose some dont have do same hose routing.from your heater core you use aftermarket heater hose because factory are prebent to fit perfect routing .please try that and halla back i am a honda technician if that matters

If you aren't getting heat that means you have air pockets in the system. If they are in the heater core, they can be very hard to get out. try pulling off a coolant hose that curves highest in the engine bay, pull it off and put a funnel with coolant in the hose itself -reverse bleeding the system. Careful around that heater core, very easy to destroy. That little bleeder nut doesn't work for shit.

Originally posted by toknology@Feb 24 2003, 07:48 PM
waz up very sorry about your miss hap.i just finished my ls vtec there are some mods to do with cooly hose some dont have do same hose routing.from your heater core you use aftermarket heater hose because factory are prebent to fit perfect routing .please try that and halla back i am a honda technician if that matters

did anyone understand that?

Like I said, we need a Literacy checker before you post, at least. At best a literacy test in the registration. :)

Does not over heat with u run it with out a thermo.

I couldn't quite figure out that last line you were trying to tell us, but I'm assuming that it does run fine without the t-stat, correct? Are you actually driving the car or you're just idling it? First off, are you losing coolant? If you are, your problem is most likely with the heater core and its' connections (e.g., heater hoses, core itself). The windshield fogging up is evident enough that your heating system is defective especially if you smell coolant inside the driver's compartment. Check to see if there's moisture on the P/S foot rest. Or you can just bypass the heater core for now and see if it stops (leaking?) and/or overheating. Did you just finished the swap or the problem just happened?

BTW... Does anyone knows how to copy the quotes off the other members' and paste it on your own message box?

First thing to do is look at the radiator you do have. If you still have a stock LS radiator that may be the prob. When i dropped a GS-R into my civic, I just used an automatic civic radiator, its got a much thicker core. I have no problems with heat. Make sure your temp sensor is working (check the voltage **do not use an ohmeter or you will fry your computer**).

well guys here the low down when i put a thermostat in the car it heats up pretty quick and i bleed the system and water and air comes out. when i run it with out the thermostat it still warms to 180 but takes a while. this happens while parked and running not driving and has did this sicne i put it together. it has all new parts but the car did sit for 2 years before i got it so could it be the heat core cause i get no heat even when running hot thanks guys

Your overheating and you dont get much hot water for windshield defrost? If all of this is true, congratulations, you have a blown head gasket :eek: . Exhaust gasses are blowing past the gasket and into you coolant, thus creating pockets of air in you coolant system. The same thing happened to me a while ago.

Back