LS/VTECH in a crx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Danabis

found a guy selling a LS motor and i'm researching swap info. I want to go all motor on the street and im looking at my options. I havent heard anyone doing this swap in a crx just wondering if it fits or it its too big or too heavy.

Originally posted by Danabis@Dec 23 2002, 02:38 PM
found a guy selling a LS motor and i'm researching swap info. I want to go all motor on the street and im looking at my options. I havent heard anyone doing this swap in a crx just wondering if it fits or it its too big or too heavy.

You haven't been looking too hard then- there are tons of these in CRXs. It will fit just like a B16 will- it's still a B series engine. You may have hood clearance issues depending on what mounts you use, but that's typically remedied by cutting out some of the hood's ribs. It's not too big or heavy for the street... it's only about 100 pounds more than your D15/D16.

well main prob is i wasnt sure if all B series motors use the same mounts and would using the zc hood (the one with the bump for the timing cover) eliminate any probs i would have with hood clearance.

Originally posted by Danabis@Dec 23 2002, 03:04 PM
well main prob is i wasnt sure if all B series motors use the same mounts and would using the zc hood (the one with the bump for the timing cover) eliminate any probs i would have with hood clearance.

For the most part, yes that hood will help. I would really just recomend cutting the ribs- it's cheaper, and it looks stock. The ZC hood would probably be the safest bet though- cutting structural supports = weaker hood.

I'm pretty sure all the mounts are the same for the B series engines- just don't try to get a B20A.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 23 2002, 02:05 PM
unless syou want to swap a phone into your car

:lol:

vtech.jpg

well my 2 options im looking into is b16 or LS/Vtec. Leaning hard towards the LS/Vtec simply because i want something all motor with some nice power to start with. My goal is around 200-250 hp on the street and stay under 6k in price. If vtec is gonna be a bitch would it be any diff with a b16?

I think you mean "if LS/VTEC is going to be a bitch", since the LS/VTEC and B16 setups both have VTEC to wire and tune for.

:)

If you want all motor and 200-250hp on the street, that's doable if you're talking about crank horsepower. For $6000, it'll be very difficult to put that amount of power down to the ground with a naturally aspirated setup. You could always drop in a B16 and spray on it- that'll get your power levels up there within your budget.

Ok actually I lied I just wanna be around low 14's high 13's just enough to spank most the ppl around here and deal with the shitty traffic in va.

btw prolly should have mentioned this I work at a machine shop the low end work will be done for next to nothing except for parts, that is if i decide to buy this LS motor. Plan to buy a head with the work already done (maybe gude? or maybe type r? not sure what my choices are yet) will prolly have it all matched (if it needs to be?) with my intake exhaust at work. So again most of this work will be done by me and what I can't do or don't know how to do will be done by ppl I know for pretty cheap its parts that are gonna cost me. The only labor I plan on paying high dollar on is someone to do the wireing and tuning. Feel free to correct any errors you find with this setup.

Hmm ok- well if you can get the machine work for pretty much free, your large costs will be the engine, head, and installation. If you can find just the parts for $5000 (don't see why not) and get it all installed and tuned, I don't see why you couldn't break 200hp at the crank, at the very very least. Take that to the track in a CRX and you should be banging out 13's with good driving.

One thing about the zc hood with the bulge.The hook is longer so you have to have the latch to and even then it takes some messing with it to get it right.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 23 2002, 03:38 PM
One thing about the zc hood with the bulge.The hook is longer so you have to have the latch to and even then it takes some messing with it to get it right.

So just cut the support ribs huh? :)

what head would you guys recommend? looking at some other forums i got a good idea how i want to build this main thing im not sure on is which head. Read a good article about Gude's head and heard ppl using b16 and type R heads. Gude head is about 1500 bucks not sure if thats with or without core charge but its been fully worked through and done up.

I don't know about Gude...

I would recommend that you just send your head to a P&P place to get worked on. Endyn will do it for just under $1000, and most other places will too. Portflow is an excellent head porting shop- look them up and give them a call. Keep in mind that most of these P&P packages are just for a P&P job on the head, and don't include any head component part upgrades. I don't know how your Gude head would measure up, but I assume it's pretty similar.

LS, small bolt on turbo kit like the greddy kit w. the 18g will put you will into the low 14s high 13s range... maybe even less. tune it right, and it will be plenty reliable, and it will cost well under 6000.

ls swap = 1500 ish
turbo kit = 3000 ish
misc parts for fuel/tuning = 600

If you really want a 1.8L VTEC just go with a GSR. The swap will cost you less than the LSVTEC build and you can start tuning from there. The only time this hybrid is cost effective is when you drive an Integra with the B18A/B in it already. Otherwise you will get more bang for your buck tuning the B18C.

Back