LsVtec Build Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I currently have a stock LsVtec in my DC and I am not 100% satisfied with the amount of power its making so I am buying another LS block and going to build it up and install in a few weeks when TwoPoint2EG gets his freckled behind home!! This way I dont lose time with out a vehicle to drive or else I would just yank my motor and build the one I have.

Anyway, I want to know a good/reasonably priced Mild and/or Wild street setup using SIRII P30 pistons, seeing that I already have them.

So give me your input about a good Rod/Piston/Block Mods/Bearings combo that will give me good power and reliability.

Also I will be using CTR or Skunk2 2's with this setup.

Thanks in advance. :)

if you're not happy with the stock setup, thats TOTALLY understandable. you have like a 9:1 motor with those ls slugs in there.

score some JDM p30's- they make more compression thant usdm p30's.
rod? stock ls rod with arp rod bolts will be fine for 200 whp.
ACL bearings/thrust washers/etc

ctr cams will top if off nicely.

sk2 stg2 are probably too big for your compression level...

So LS rods are okay, are you sure, everyone tells me thats the weakest point of the LS block is the rods?

I am definitely tryin to stay near a reasonable budget (my job sucks!!)

But I also want a reliable 9k motor. How much are rods anyway, I know eagles are like 300 but are there any out there that are cheaper?

not up to date on the prices of rods and etc... but, i suppose you can check into manley, ross, pauter etc...

Originally posted by JayDeeEmDC4+Jun 7 2005, 08:52 PM-->
So LS rods are okay, are you sure, everyone tells me thats the weakest point of the LS block is the rods?

I am definitely tryin to stay near a reasonable budget (my job sucks!!)

But I also want a reliable 9k motor.  How much are rods anyway, I know eagles are like 300 but are there any out there that are cheaper?
[post=509349]Quoted post[/post]​

You can not use aftermarket rods with stock honda pistons. The rods use a floating wrist pin. The pistons us a clip. It won't work. Either use the stock LS rods or go with some aftermarket pistons.

brian11to1
@Jun 8 2005, 09:01 PM
not up to date on the prices of rods and etc... but, i suppose you can check into manley, ross, pauter etc...
[post=509889]Quoted post[/post]​

Brian11to1 - Do you have any idea how much a set of Manley rods are? $800 and up.

Eagle and Scat are the only way to go now. Crower is alright if you are building some stupid turbo motor, but for most guys, Eagle or Scat would be fine....

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jun 9 2005, 12:26 PM-->
You can not use aftermarket rods with stock honda pistons. The rods use a floating wrist pin. The pistons us a clip. It won't work. Either use the stock LS rods or go with some aftermarket pistons.

This i know. I must've forgotten to say this, im sorry i left a tad out. OE uses a pressed wrist pin, aftermarket used clips. Pressed being that it is pressed into the piston holding the pin in place. Aftermarket used clips and utilizes a floating wrist pin, which is why you can not use OE pistons with Eagle or Scat rods.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 9 2005, 12:26 PM
brian11to1

Brian11to1 - Do you have any idea how much a set of Manley rods are? $800 and up.

Eagle and Scat are the only way to go now. Crower is alright if you are building some stupid turbo motor, but for most guys, Eagle or Scat would be fine....
[post=510186]Quoted post[/post]​

Whcih is the exact reason i siad "not up to date on the prices of rods and etc".

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jun 9 2005, 12:31 PM-->

This i know. I must've forgotten to say this, im sorry i left a tad out. OE uses a pressed wrist pin, aftermarket used clips. Pressed being that it is pressed into the piston holding the pin in place. Aftermarket used clips and utilizes a floating wrist pin, which is why you can not use OE pistons with Eagle or Scat rods.

brian11to1

[post=510186]Quoted post[/post]​

Whcih is the exact reason i siad "not up to date on the prices of rods and etc".
[post=510189]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah. No need to get testy. Now you are up to date. :fuckyou2:

Scat = $300
Eagle = $400
Ross = $400
Manley = $800

Okay thanks alot for the info, I will be shot peining my stock ls rods, using jdm p30 with oem rings, acl bearing/seal kit, gsr block girdle and honing my cyl.

Think that will hold up to 200whp?

remeber, if you use a GSR block girdle, you need to use the GSR oil pan, windage tray, and oil pick up also. the ls will not fit over the girdle. If you are interested, i have a b18b1 block ready to go with all of these goodies w/ 0 miles on it. you just need to add rods and pistons and put them in. ready to go.. LMK

matt

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jun 10 2005, 03:43 PM
remeber, if you use a GSR block girdle, you need to use the GSR oil pan, windage tray, and oil pick up also. the ls will not fit over the girdle. If you are interested, i have a b18b1 block ready to go with all of these goodies w/ 0 miles on it. you just need to add rods and pistons and put them in. ready to go.. LMK

matt
[post=510792]Quoted post[/post]​

Matt - what's up with the ITBs yo???????? :(

Answer Jonathan's phone calls. ITBs are the ISH and I want 'em.

Okay thanks alot for the info, I will be shot peining my stock ls rods, using jdm p30 with oem rings, acl bearing/seal kit, gsr block girdle and honing my cyl.

can you still use the stock ls crank if your going with this guys setup as im planning to myself.
also what oil pump do i use.ill be using the gsr timing belt and water pump so my guess is gsr pump right.let me know as im starting my build very soon.Luis

Back