Matt's GTR Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It was a lot, and it was terrifying at first.. but definitely worth it in the end

I just realized you bought it at roughly 4 years old with only 12,000 miles on it. Nice pick up.

Thanks man! It was relatively low miles for the year, that's for sure. I've since put almost 24k on it in 3 years of ownership. lol

Thanks man! It was relatively low miles for the year, that's for sure. I've since put almost 24k on it in 3 years of ownership. lol

That's really not even that much since I thought you were using it as a daily driver for a while.

cars like this that have more than 100 miles on them are meant to be driven, not investments.

what's the point of keeping all that enjoyment in the garage? invest in the S&p500, drive GTRs.

what's the point of keeping all that enjoyment in the garage? invest in the S&p500, drive GTRs.

That's the interesting sweet spot with cars. As odd as it sounds, the $80-$120k car really is a daily driver, track car, weekend car. It's not going to have massive investment value worth keeping it in a garage forever. And it's also not in the top end super cars price range for the typical car collector. Obviously there's a lot of room for debate, but it seems like most of the best cars to buy and store are either $50-$80k or $250k+.

Examples:

$30k-$80k - Honda Civic Type R, Kia Stinger, Subaru WRX STI Type RA, Camaro ZL1, Porsche 718, Dodge Challenger Hellcat/Demon

$80-$120k - Nissan GTR, BMW M4 CS, Ariel Atom (not a DD though), Corvette Z06

$250k+ - The obvious supercars

cars like this that have more than 100 miles on them are meant to be driven, not investments.

I could not agree more. I bought this car to drive it and I'm honestly not sure how people own one of these and never take it to the track..

That's the interesting sweet spot with cars. As odd as it sounds, the $80-$120k car really is a daily driver, track car, weekend car. It's not going to have massive investment value worth keeping it in a garage forever. And it's also not in the top end super cars price range for the typical car collector. Obviously there's a lot of room for debate, but it seems like most of the best cars to buy and store are either $50-$80k or $250k+.

Examples:

$30k-$80k - Honda Civic Type R, Kia Stinger, Subaru WRX STI Type RA, Camaro ZL1, Porsche 718, Dodge Challenger Hellcat/Demon

$80-$120k - Nissan GTR, BMW M4 CS, Ariel Atom (not a DD though), Corvette Z06

$250k+ - The obvious supercars

This is a good point. My car has held it's value fairly well given the miles I have put on it, but if I were to buy a car for the sole purpose of collecting, I think it almost has to be something in the $250k+ category.. EXCEPT the Cayman GT4. Amazing machine and I doubt they'll make anything like it again.

I've been taking a hard look at the Camaro ZL1 1LE. Yeah, I said it... a friggin' Camaro. The car is ridiculous on track (faster than any Mclaren that R&T has tested around Laguna Seca) and can be had for ~$65k new.. oh and it's a manual!

just get a Senna :)

We were randomly watching Barrett Jackson on saturday when the purple one went up for auction. Holy shit, gorgeous car. It's what boys dream about when thinking about cars. And at $1.5 million price paid, I'd say it's a bargain compared to a lot of the other cars that have sold for that price.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2019-MCLAREN-SENNA-229099
229099_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Back