MC swap w/o brake swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
I know I just recently read somewhere about this, but don't think it was here. Anyway, I scored an uber cheap15/16's from a 91 EX today, so I was thinking about putting it on.

Has anyone here swapped a bigger MC onto stock set up, and if so, what were the results? I will be getting either GSRs when I get back, or VTi's while I am here, but I would just rather get parts on, or gone before I depart Germany.

put it on. the only thing it will do will give you less pedal travel per bite. it sends more fluid out. the 91 ex master is a nice cheap easy mod. autozone sells remnu's for like 50 bucks + core.

yeah, it will feel like it bites harder due to less pedal travel like B said. I'm upgrading as soon as i get my stainless lines and my rear disc

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 15 2005, 07:34 PM
put it on. the only thing it will do will give you less pedal travel per bite. it sends more fluid out. the 91 ex master is a nice cheap easy mod. autozone sells remnu's for like 50 bucks + core.
[post=512528]Quoted post[/post]​

$50? Ouch, got mine for $15 :)

gallery_630_324_68026.jpg

So, no worries about locking up, just a tighter pedal feel?

Yea, for a part that old, normally I would go with a rebuilt one, but this is way clean, and the fluid residue in the resevoir was nice and clean, not built up shit or particles, so I think it is in real good shape. Only thing is one of the fittings is stuck, so I gotta get it on a vise so I can get it out.

you'll have less pedal travel, but will require more pedal force. it's like having a shorter lever arm.

:thumbsup:

Only $50 plus core from AutoZone? I have an extra one lying around... could just go get the 15/16 and drop it into Katie's car.

I have a ctr mc lying around that I got with my swap, anyone know if that has more displacemant than the ex mc........sorry threadjack

mine was 75 plus a 57 core at autozone. and i dont even know if im gonna ge thte right one.

i went to pep boys first. and got one, but it was the wrong bolt pattern. then i got one that was the right bolt pattern but the wrong size (13/16). then he looked in the computer and found the right one, the 15/16 one, but there warehouse didnt stock it so he couldnt order it.

off to advance. they dont even carry the 15/16 one. and they only carry the 13/16 and the 7/8.

off to autozone... ordered the MC, but it didnt say on the computer what size it was so we will see tomorrow when it comes in. i hope its the right one :(

i dont understand how someone can stock the wrong part for a car. like what if i was some average joe with a 90-91 EX. i walk in and they give me the wrong part repeatedly. or dont know any better and install the 13/16 or 7/8 to replace the 15/16. its just stupid. if you dont stock it, dont put another part in its place.

[/rant]

also, one thing to note is that when you replace the MC you will actually have to press harder to get the same brake effect, but as B said the pedal will have less travel. im not sure if this is the case when you match the booster with the MC though.

I was wondering the same thing about the booster too. I have the GSR booster and a VTi 15/16's MC with the ears facing the opposite way of the Civics, but I am going to have to cut and reflare the fitting, as one of the outlets is bigger. I was under the impression by looking at it, that the booster only moved the plunger inside the MC, though I guess they could have different travel distances, any one know?

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jun 19 2005, 01:47 PM
I have a ctr mc lying around that I got with my swap, anyone know if that has more displacemant than the ex mc........sorry threadjack
[post=513946]Quoted post[/post]​

ctr's are different... you're going to have to bend hard lines and reflare.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 19 2005, 03:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the booster too. I have the GSR booster and a VTi 15/16's MC with the ears facing the opposite way of the Civics, but I am going to have to cut and reflare the fitting, as one of the outlets is bigger. I was under the impression by looking at it, that the booster only moved the plunger inside the MC, though I guess they could have different travel distances, any one know?
[post=513975]Quoted post[/post]​

if you're going to go through all that hassel, you might as well get an ITR 1".
the only reason to go with the 15/16 from the 91 ex is ease.

i had a compelte gsr master and booster in my garage, but i decided that it was too much work, and just went with the upgraded master.

Yea, I just was wondering if the GSR booster and the Civic booster had the same or different travel differences. I doubt it, but hey, why not ask. I am more than likely going to be doing all this next weekend, as I am going this week to the Honda guy to find a conversion.

the gsr booster is much bigger. you may even have a hard time getting it into position, as it will hit the intake manifold.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 03:27 PM
the gsr booster is much bigger. you may even have a hard time getting it into position, as it will hit the intake manifold.
[post=514016]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure? Mine fit just fine.

ive got an ITR master and booster in the sol with no problems
getting the booster in after the swap was a bit of a pain in the ass but everything fits fine once its all in possition

:shrug2:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 10:27 PM
[post=514016]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not talking about the physical size, I am wondering about the actuating rod inside of it, the one the pushes the plunger in teh MC, if it has more travel. I can fit the booster (not going to, just going to use the 91EX I have and sell the GSR/VTi combo). If need be, the rear mount can be unbolted and sway the motor forward to fit :)

Back