Mini-Me rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrokenRex

I've got a Mini-me project with a d16z6 head going on a d16a6 block. I want to rebuild while it's out of the car, and plan on going with one of the kits, as they are much cheaper than piecing together everything needed. So my question is, will a kit designed for the z6 work on the a6? water pump/oil pump mounting, timing belt, etc? Also are the bearings the same size in both engines?

yes, yes, and yes.
the d16a6 block is almost identical to the d16z6 block.
don't forget to remove the oil jet between cylinders #2 and #3.
use the z6 timing belt, to because the z6 head has the cam gear closer to the crank gear the the a6 head.
z6 belt = 104 teeth

one last question, which water pump do i use? the ones labeled for the z6 dont have the a6 in their application list, and the a6 pumps dont list the z6. obviously the a6 pump cause thats what the pump bolts to, but will that affect the timing belt?

No, it should not. A z6 water pump will work just fine on it, as the blocks are nearly identical.

As he has already said, do not forget to remove the oil jet. Also before you ask; use a z6 headgasket lol.

Also, if you are rebuilding the bottom end anyways, why not replace the piston/rods/rings. Just a thought since you are already having it taken apart. Slap some Vitaras in there and boost that bitch lol

yes, z6 and a6 use the same water and oil pumps. that is what i meant when i said blocks are almost identical. oil jet, threaded for intermediate shaft mount and steel crank girdle are the differences.

New guy to the boards, don't know how to post yet. So I have a question about removing the oil
jet during a mini me swap. I see to remove the one in the block, what about the one in the head??
Thanks, Clark

Back