mini me swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey guys I just picked up a mini me swap, a y7 bottom with a z6 head. And I've got a few questions to get it put together before I swap it in (in 2 weeks or so).

1 I've heard that I should use all y7 head studs/bolts and one z6 stud/bolt is this correct?

2 Which head gasket should I get one for the y7 or one for the z6?

3 seeing that I'm getting an adjustable cam gear should I just zero it out and would it run fine? Because I've heard that it's half a tooth difference (4.5 degrees)

4 what screws should I use for the vtec solenoid? Because right now it's only got one in it and the top can slide back and fourth....unless it's supposed to.

and finally number 5, would a stock p28 ecu be able to run it with out any problems? like no need for a major tune (although it couldn't hurt)

but any and all help would be very much appreciated

thanks!

1 I've heard that I should use all y7 head studs/bolts and one z6 stud/bolt is this correct?

from what i found:
you will need 9 y7 bolts and 1 z6 bolt.
The bolt that goes by the vtec solenoid needs to be a longer bolt (z6 bolt)

2 Which head gasket should I get one for the y7 or one for the z6?

z6 or y8 (y8 is a thinner metal gasket and yields a higher CR)

3 seeing that I'm getting an adjustable cam gear should I just zero it out and would it run fine? Because I've heard that it's half a tooth difference (4.5 degrees)

this is really more of a concern when using a 1.5 block
put the block at TDC then set the cam at TDC and all should be fine

4 what screws should I use for the vtec solenoid? Because right now it's only got one in it and the top can slide back and fourth....unless it's supposed to.

:huh: huh?? no, its not supposed to flop around

and finally number 5, would a stock p28 ecu be able to run it with out any problems? like no need for a major tune (although it couldn't hurt)

yes a P28 will run it fine

alright thanks man. for question number 4 I was talking about about the 3 screws that hold the top of the solenoid to well...the bottom part

Majestic Honda calls them bolt, flange (6x30), part number 95701-06030-08. List price is $0.98 each so probably 6 or 7 dollars at the dealership for all 3, assuming huge dealership markup.

Last edited:
Back