Mini Me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You don't need a knock senor cause the D16Z6 doesn't have one, and neither does your B8. You can use your ecu but you have to do the extra wiring, which is no biggie. But the Z6 would make it easier on you.

is there anyone out here that put one together and knows whats all involved?

if i build it right what hp levels do you think i can hit? is there anything else anyone can add to my list and can someone explain how to do it?

there is no knock sensor. who ever said that, is wrong.

not only does the block not had the sensor, there are no wires for it, and the ecu doesn't have a pin for it anyway :bash:

the Y8 head and IM are better than the z6 by a couple ponies, but its harder to wire, being obd2.

I don't know if the CX is usable for a mini me though. Here's why: the cx has 8 valve piston, the z6/y8 head is 16 valves. the reliefs in the pistsons are not there for the extra valves.
While it was done on the 4th gen HF by Cory, and that is the article on here, without a piston swap, im not sure it can be done.

EDIT:

now, i read this on h-t
"However, the D15b8 (Civic CX) engine, which is almost identicle to the D15b6, is also a 8 valve engine, but I am for certain it has 4 valve reliefs per piston. So I dont see why you couldnt do a mini-me on one of those."

so perhaps, its ok afterall. the only way to find out- is to pull your head off and check the pistons.

i went to mankato honda and looked up the part number for the pistonsin my cx and they were the same as the dx which is 16 valve

i found a head, distiribitor and intake manifold all for 275.00 plus shipping. is this a good deal?

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Mar 25 2003, 10:38 AM
Z6 head gasket (or y8 if you want more compression)

The Z6 head gasket and Y8 are now the same. Honda has replaced the Z6 with the Y8. They had the same compressed height, so it was no real change in compression before.

If you are still doing this, you HAVE TO check out this site. Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): FAQ: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye) It explains everything, and I believe it all to be 100% accurate. Hell, I'm doing the same thing you are, except with a B7 block. And check out a local honda site. I'm from ohio, and on OhioHondas :: Home people are selling Z6 heads, vtec solenoids, p28 ecus for cheap! $75 is getting me a good head and solenoid. So your $200+ head is a junk deal. Like I said, go for a local honda site and then there's no shipping, either.

HP numbers I believe are going to be comparable to the Z6 motor. Now, I'm not quite sure how this works yet, but with the Y8 headgasket (because its metal, instead of the carbon material or whatever your block uses) you can pull out the middle layer of the gasket and it will slightly raise your compression. Check out some more sites and do some research as far as the differences between a B8 and B7 mini-me swap. But remember to check out that link, too. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.

Just do the complete d16z6 conversions its a plug in and go setup the 1992 civic cx models are pre wired for vtec(since si models have that motor honda must of got lazy) and some 1993 are pre wired to. Just go to a junk yard grab a motor and slap it in there big power difference. My d16z6 came out of a 1994 del sol Si and the motor and tranny went right in no probs took me like 4 hours to do the swap and fired right up. Screw that mini me crap and do yourself a favor and just go buy the motor. Dont know how much it will be but mine was $300 for motor tranny and ECU U need ecu# p28.

Back