moroso evacuation system

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

macadoshes1

I just ordered the crank evac kit from moroso for my zc. I hope that this is going to fix my problem from blowing oil all over the engine compartment everytime I boost. I was going to do a catch can but I have a feeling that it wont work good enough. I am loosing a half of quart of mobile one synthetic everytime I drive it . Has anyone out there used the moroso kit? has anyone out there been sucssesfull using this kit??

Originally posted by Calesta@May 30 2005, 01:08 PM
I have it in mine and I love it- but I think you have a blowby problem.
[post=505294]Quoted post[/post]​

I did a compression test and the motor was ok but I did not do a leakdown test. Im hoping I didnt fry my rings but it is quite possible. I drove the car today and it is running like absolute crap. Id do a leakdown but it seems complicated?

got a link to the product? i'm not sure what this is...

Like a 007-style ejection seat? I didn't know Moroso made those...those motherfuckers sure can fab up some wild shit.

Originally posted by macadoshes1+May 30 2005, 05:33 PM-->
I did a compression test and the motor was ok but I did not do a leakdown test. Im hoping I didnt fry my rings but it is quite possible. I drove the car today and it is running like absolute crap. Id do a leakdown but it seems complicated?
[post=505386]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you fried your rings.

Leakdown tests are easy. You just get the piston you want to test up to TDC with all the valves closed, run the air from the leakdown tester into the spark plug hole, then read your gauge. You can use a stethoscope to listen for leaks from the intake (intake valves not sealing), exhaust (exhaust valves not sealing), dipstick (rings bad), oil cap (valve guides not sealing). It's a much more comprehensive test than a compression test.

pissedoffsol
@May 30 2005, 09:27 PM
[post=505468]Quoted post[/post]​

It's a catch can that runs hoses to the oil plugs on the back of the block. The can has a filter on top so that excess pressure can be bled off. Using a crankcase breather like this works really well to relieve excessive pressure, and it prolongs engine life too. The GSR has a small one on the back of the block from the factory. If you look at any pictures of my engine bay, you'll see the filter sticking up close to the brake booster- that's my crankcase breather.

that would be a huge no-no then for emissions right? i mean your essentially deleting the entire PCV system.

Yup- not emissions legal whatsoever- you're releasing emissions that haven't gone through the catalytic converter into the atmosphere. Every emissions tech that saw mine just had no clue what it was, didn't bother to see where the lines went, then passed me. :lol:

you still have your pcv valve hooked to the manifld? like as a dummy?

Originally posted by Calesta+May 31 2005, 08:44 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 30 2005, 09:27 PM
[post=505468]Quoted post[/post]​

It's a catch can that runs hoses to the oil plugs on the back of the block. The can has a filter on top so that excess pressure can be bled off. Using a crankcase breather like this works really well to relieve excessive pressure, and it prolongs engine life too. The GSR has a small one on the back of the block from the factory. If you look at any pictures of my engine bay, you'll see the filter sticking up close to the brake booster- that's my crankcase breather.
[post=505838]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, that was sarcasm...

:shrug2:

You can't exactly hear people's voices on a message forum. :p

Originally posted by Calesta@May 31 2005, 08:44 PM

Leakdown tests are easy. You just get the piston you want to test up to TDC with all the valves closed, run the air from the leakdown tester into the spark plug hole, then read your gauge. You can use a stethoscope to listen for leaks from the intake (intake valves not sealing), exhaust (exhaust valves not sealing), dipstick (rings bad), oil cap (valve guides not sealing). It's a much more comprehensive test than a compression test.

[post=505838]Quoted post[/post]​

I am curious then I have always been told that leaks coming from the oil cap were from bad rings. Is that not the case?

Think about it... if you're leaking past your rings, you're getting blowby into the crankcase- then you'll hear it hissing from your oil pan or dipstick tube when you apply air pressure to the combustion chamber. If you have air coming from ring leakage into the valve cover, the air would have to run through all the oil in the pan, up through the oil passages into the head, then out from the oil cap in the valve cover. Sound plausible?

Sure, ring leaks could come up as leakdown test hissing through the oil cap, but usually not.

Back