My 2004 SV650

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That looks super sweet, Matt. I feel like I would be too clumsy and big for a bike though. haha Having something comfortable to sit on is definitely on my high priority list nowadays. :D

That looks super sweet, Matt. I feel like I would be too clumsy and big for a bike though. haha Having something comfortable to sit on is definitely on my high priority list nowadays. :D
It took some getting used to, but I am getting better at maneuvering. It's a huge change from a dirtbike.

Side note: HOLY SHIT, you're alive! :blink:

Side note: HOLY SHIT, you're alive! :blink:

haha...yeah man, I've been through a lot and am working on getting back into the swing of things. Thanks to Calesta, I may have something in the works. :ph34r: I just need to get my car running first! Ugh. That's been a pain but I am not about to jack your thread and talk about that. haha It's great to see you again.

haha...yeah man, I've been through a lot and am working on getting back into the swing of things. Thanks to Calesta, I may have something in the works. :ph34r: I just need to get my car running first! Ugh. That's been a pain but I am not about to jack your thread and talk about that. haha It's great to see you again.
Glad to hear things are looking up! :)

I started a projector retrofit on the bike tonight. I went with the same projector that I used when I retrofitted the Accord - Morimoto mini. I bought a larger shroud to try and fill up as much of the 7" headlight as possible, and will be painting the reflector and shroud black. I'll post pics when I finish it, should be done tomorrow.

You like the Morimoto mini? Any reason to go with the FXR over the mini? Huge performance upgrade or not very noticeable? :)

You like the Morimoto mini? Any reason to go with the FXR over the mini? Huge performance upgrade or not very noticeable? :)

There definitely is a difference in performance. The mini has a noticeable bright spot at the center of the pattern just below the cutoff, which reduces the sharpness of the cutoff at that point. Other than that they're a great projector.

I'd probably try an FXR projector on my bike but the headlight bucket is ~4.5" deep, which means about an inch (maybe more) of the projector would be sticking out of the back of the reflector housing. The mini will probably stick out about 1/2-3/4" which leaves me some room to mount the ballast and relay harness.

If I ever retrofit a car again, I might try a larger projector. My Accord didn't offer much real estate for the projector, either. The mini slipped right in and with a little trimming of the reflector mounted to the lenses, the retrofit was done. Had the projector been any larger, I would've had to cut the headlight housing quite a bit to recess the projector enough for the lense to fit.

There definitely is a difference in performance. The mini has a noticeable bright spot at the center of the pattern just below the cutoff, which reduces the sharpness of the cutoff at that point. Other than that they're a great projector.

I'd probably try an FXR projector on my bike but the headlight bucket is ~4.5" deep, which means about an inch (maybe more) of the projector would be sticking out of the back of the reflector housing. The mini will probably stick out about 1/2-3/4" which leaves me some room to mount the ballast and relay harness.

If I ever retrofit a car again, I might try a larger projector. My Accord didn't offer much real estate for the projector, either. The mini slipped right in and with a little trimming of the reflector mounted to the lenses, the retrofit was done. Had the projector been any larger, I would've had to cut the headlight housing quite a bit to recess the projector enough for the lense to fit.

Cool, good info to have. I bought an extra set of headlight housings for the truck shortly after I got it (back in 2010), so I have all the latitude I need to cut up and screw up (hopefully not) a pair of headlights while mounting projectors. The minis would be the fool-proof installation with minimal risk, but the FXRs are almost the same price- so the risk factor would be the decision point for me on which one to get. I guess I have enough confidence in my plastic fabrication skills to try out the FXRs, but we'll have to see what the final outcome is. I've never played around with cutting up a headlight housing before.

Glad to hear things are looking up! :)

I started a projector retrofit on the bike tonight. I went with the same projector that I used when I retrofitted the Accord - Morimoto mini. I bought a larger shroud to try and fill up as much of the 7" headlight as possible, and will be painting the reflector and shroud black. I'll post pics when I finish it, should be done tomorrow.

I've missed a lot apparently. Is there a thread on the Accord you worked on? Oh and how are you enjoying the bike so far?

I've missed a lot apparently. Is there a thread on the Accord you worked on? Oh and how are you enjoying the bike so far?

Theres details and pics of my retrofit on the accord in my civic build thread. I don't think I made a separate build thread for the accord..

I'm loving the bike. 2 wheels > 4 wheels IMO.

Here's some updated pics of the bike. I have the lense on the housing at a 90 degree angle just because it fit best that way. I'm in search of a 100% clear lenses but if I can't find one I'll probably just leave it. Doesn't seem to have any impact on light output. I love the look of the front end now. I plan on adding a few more black bits to the bike, but this is basically how it will stay.

Attachments

• IMG_20131001_175346_543.jpg
    IMG_20131001_175346_543.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20131001_172509.jpg
    IMG_20131001_172509.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_20131001_145510_324.jpg
    IMG_20131001_145510_324.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 517
I looked at your bike and for a second I imagined...Bumblebee. :ph34r: It looks awesome. I'm too much of a klutz to ever own one. All I can do is look but no touchy. :D

Well decided to change up the headlight.. looked around for a while and decided to go with an 07 08 gsxr headlight. I transferred the projector from my stock headlight over. I have to get the mounting situation figured out, then I'll dremel the unnecessary tabs off of the light. Attached is a pic of a rough mockup with some stuff I had lying around. Everyone says the gsxr headlight looks out of place on the sv.. I think it makes a great streetflighter style headlight.

Attachments

• IMG_20131018_203248_502.jpg
    IMG_20131018_203248_502.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 461
maybe i need new glasses but that looks... interesting.

I don't see the "headlight" but what appears to be a chunk of aluminum where the headlight once lived.

so hows the light output?

Back