My Engine Swap Continues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

Alright people, for those of you who have been reading my posts from last week know that I was tackling my engine swap over the weekend. The newly acquired B16A2 is officially mounted in my car but I have a few issues at hand.

1.) there are way too many plugs just hanging around now, I've plugged everything in but there are about 2-3 plugs that have no where to be plugged. Any thoughts. I'm about to go tonight and buy the manual for a 1996-97 Del Sol and consult the wiring diagrams. Also, I know I have asked this before but I still don't get it, because my engine is OBDII and I am running a chipped P28 ECU(got rid of the P30 I had cuz it was OBDII and a friend had this P28), do I need to use the wiring from my stock engine or am I using the wires from the new engine? Also, what exactly do I need to do to the distributor, alternator and injectors plugs? I still don't understand that part.
2.) it slipped my mind to get the Del Sol Vtec radiator hoses and so the coolant line aren't reaching.
3.) I gotta wait on my local Honda dealer to get the header bolts so I can mount it.
4.) I got all the engine mounts and the ECU and wiring in a big bag, I was too stupid to check for all of them so I am missing the A/C compressor mount(which is also the front stabilizer mount). Any ideas where I can pick one up from?
5.) Does the manual transmission really use 10W-30 engine oil in it? I was online somewhere reading that if you can't get Honda Manual Transmission Fluid to use engine oil? Any thoughts.
6.) the TPS is broken(common problem when buying used engines). the portion of the throttle body that the actual throttle cable connects to is bent.
7.) I have an extra hose hanging around that I can't figure out where it connects to. I'm going to consult my manual tonight to see exactly which hose it is.

I think I put a good 30hours of work into this swap so far cuz I was pretty much doing it by myself. The only time I had some help was pulling the stock motor out with the hoist and lowering the new motor in. Next time atleast I know what I'm doing.

I made this post for two reasons:
Reason 1-to get some feed back on the things I still need to do.
Reason 2-to give those who are thinking about doing their own engine swaps an idea of the problems that you can run accross.

use your old harness and get the p28 chipped and you wont have to do any wiring except some lengthening.

use the injectors off your old motor and get an obd1 dist. did an alternator come with the b16?

im pretty sure youll need a del sol vtec compressor mount. another b series mount might work but might not allow the compressor to bolt on correctly. i think like 2 or 3 of the d-series mount holes line up, you can use that temporarily.

edit: if you take pics of the plugs you are talking about im sure me or someone else can tell you where they go.

Don't use engine oil in the tranny. Honda MTF only. I have run 1 tranny with engine oil. It is no longer with us.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Mar 17 2003, 01:31 PM
use your old harness and get the p28 chipped and you wont have to do any wiring except some lengthening.

use the injectors off your old motor and get an obd1 dist. did an alternator come with the b16?

im pretty sure youll need a del sol vtec compressor mount. another b series mount might work but might not allow the compressor to bolt on correctly. i think like 2 or 3 of the d-series mount holes line up, you can use that temporarily.

edit: if you take pics of the plugs you are talking about im sure me or someone else can tell you where they go.

I already have the chipped P28, i'll probably swap out the wiring tomorrow cuz I'm gonna go chasing after that a/c compressor bracket tonight after work. When you said extend the wires, you mean the vtec wires, right?

Will the injectors off of my D16Z6 work ok on the new motor? What exactly do I need to swap out? just the injector plugs, injectors themselves...please be specific.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them of the plugs and hoses i'm having issues with.

anyone know where I can get a cheap throttle body from, cuz Honda wants like $600 for a new one?

im not sure which wires youll have to extend. i have a cx and had to add the vtec wires. it will become obvious which ones youll need to extend as they wont reach. the only wire i had to extend was running to a sensor on the drivers side of the intake manifold, i forget which one.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Mar 17 2003, 01:47 PM
Don't use engine oil in the tranny. Honda MTF only. I have run 1 tranny with engine oil. It is no longer with us.

Dude, I had an opportunity to check the Haynes book I have and it says to use Honda MTF or engine oil(SAE 10W-30).

I'm definately going to try to use Honda MTF though. I'll just pick up from the dealer when I go to get my header bolts.

It's from a 99-00 si right?Get that helms,not the delsol,they are slightly different OBDs so you might still find something that one doesn't cover.Also you could do what I did and bite the bullet and get one for both cars,yours and the motors.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 17 2003, 01:58 PM
It's from a 99-00 si right?Get that helms,not the delsol,they are slightly different OBDs so you might still find something that one doesn't cover.Also you could do what I did and bite the bullet and get one for both cars,yours and the motors.

No, it's not the Si motor. It's from a 96 Del Sol Vtec. I have the Helms for my car but I haven't gotten the one for the motor yet.

Oh yah, and the alternator came with the new motor?
should I stick my Z6 alternator on there or would I not need to do this since I am swapping the wiring, the connectors are the same???

Originally posted by rsaeini@Mar 17 2003, 11:01 PM
No, it's not the Si motor. It's from a 96 Del Sol Vtec. I have the Helms for my car but I haven't gotten the one for the motor yet.

Ahhhsooo...so the the 96-97 delsol motor is a B16A2,not A3 cool. ;)

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 17 2003, 02:11 PM-->
@Mar 17 2003, 11:01 PM

Ahhhsooo...so the the 96-97 delsol motor is a B16A2,not A3 cool. ;)

yah, you were right on the money on that one. I didn't believe it until I actually went to Honda to order my header bolts and they pulled out the book to confirm that the 96-96 Del Sols had the B16A2 in them.
I remembered that you have mentioned it but up to that point I had thought that the SI's were the only ones with a A2.

I asked the guys at Honda if there is any way to distinguish between a SI and a DelSol B16A2 and they said they didn't know. Go figure. :blink:

Yes when I was buying my timing belt the guy busted out the parts book,and I was skimming through and saw that,but it was a while ago and wasn't 100%,but now we know :D

I had a Honda tech tell me to put engine oil in my tranny and it works alot smoother. He says he has been using engine oil in hondas since the 70's and has never had a problem.

Well people, the motor is in and it runs ok.
The only problem I am having right now is with the Air Intake Temperature(AIT) sensor. My D16 had the AIT on the intake manifold but the B16 doesn't have it there, I think the B-series motors have it on the intake pipe directly. I'm going to tap my intake and buy the sensor to see if it'll work. Hopefully it will work cuz my car is idling really rough right now, it sounds and smells like it's running rich.
I posted some pictures of my car before the swap and while my friend and I were working on the suspension. I'll have some swap pictures soon.

My car is the black EG, check out that D16Z6...yea :p , the silver EP belongs to my buddy, (the bald guy with the shock in his hand) it's a clean car especially now with the c/f hood.

Check out my album, here's the link:

https://hondaswap.com/gallery/browse.ph...hp?album_id=342

Originally posted by rsaeini@Mar 20 2003, 06:57 PM
Well people, the motor is in and it runs ok.
The only problem I am having right now is with the Air Intake Temperature(AIT) sensor. My D16 had the AIT on the intake manifold but the B16 doesn't have it there, I think the B-series motors have it on the intake pipe directly.

The Intake Air Temperture sensor is on the front of the IM.

where on the intake manifold? please tell me you know exactly where it is. :worthy:

do you have a pic you can show me?

Back