My new swap. (EG SI B16)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
My '92 EG SI with a B16 (JDM). Great success!!! Just happy to finally get it in. It was definetly worth talking to people on this forum. It all went smoothly after I after i extended wires on the engine harness (D16Z6). I extended the O2, VTEC solenoid, and VTEC oil pressure. I also ran the knock sensor through the harness clips and to the ECU. And last was the MAP sensor needed to be mounted to the firewall and ran to the top of the throttle body. Thanks for all the help!!
100_0732.jpg
100_0731.jpg

It took me a good three days with:

Replace clutch/flywheel/timingbelt/waterpump/valvecover gasket

I had to make a bracket to mount to the firewall for the MAP sensor (not attached to throttle body like USDM Hondas).

Plus getting my knock sensor into the ECU plug was a time consuming experience.

A little over 2 hours to take the LS swap out and 3.5 hours for the install of the B16. No Check Engine Light....just needed to advance the timing a little.

Last edited:
Hey can you post more pictures of your MAP bracket?

My MAP is not on the TB so I would have to do something about it before I do my swap.

Thanks in advance. NICE clean RIDE!!!

Here's the MAP sensor on the firewall. I just used the right side bolt of the fuel filter mount. I just took some semi thick sheet metal my dad had in the garage and marked the three holes for the map sensor (two for mounting and one big hole for the vacuum tube to attach to MAP sensor). Then I drilled another hole on the other side so I could run the Fuel filter bolt through it. Test fit it and bent it to my liking...then painted it and got a vacuum line that worked (about 8-10 inches long)

100_0733.jpg

The surge I feel is only when I give it more throttle then it wants (at the lower rpm) but I'm not sure if its from the motor sitting for so long or what. I put cheaper 10w-30 in it to flush it out and have synthetic that'll put in this weekend.

EDIT: I advanced the timing (by ear and 2mm only) but later on....when I smogged....I found out it was still at 12-13 degrees!!! He let me set it it 17 degrees and the slight hesitation under acceleration at low rpm went away!! It msut have been at 10-11 degrees when I bought the JDM swap....weird

Last edited:
I wanted a different set up (LS since '98) and I wanted a VTEC Head/Trans. I plan on either selling the LS swap or keeping the bottom end and building and LS/VTEC later on (maybe this fall).

Give me some rep points!! I know I'm new to the forum but I've had my EG since '96 and did both of my swaps myself.

EDIT: Eff Rep Points!!

Last edited:
advanced the timing and it helped quite a bit.

gonna check the TPS sensor this weekend and see if its reading correctly.

Looks GOOD, Glad to see another clean install! Did you keep the A/C intact?

I have it but need the lines from the pump to my connectors...plus I need new rubber rings because I was told if the system is empty...the seals will go bad ( I haven't had A/C since '98). But I have the pump for it and will have it up and running before it gets too hot

wow....that is a trip. not sure whats up with that....sounds like fuel or a solenoid/sensor on the intake/throttle body.

Check vacuum lines....sensors/solenoids for continuity.

I advanced timing by jumping the service plug under my glove box and advanced timing by sound and figuring one millimeter was roughly one degree.

counterclockwise rotation is advanced

I put it on a gun and it looked like it was right on the money (16 degrees)

I wonder if a mechanic retarded the timing in Japan so it could run lower octane gas??

My surge is coming from the lightened flywheel...i think. Someone told me about it and it makes sense because the hesitation is at low rpm and lightened flywheels can cause that

Back