My Si died please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aSS man

Hello, I am new here and for a good reason, I have a 99' Civic Si with 166000 never raced miles. I had a radiator go bad last month and the engine ran hot and some radiator pieces got sucked into the engine, at any rate it will not start now. I took it to a Honda/Acura performance shop down the street and he said I would be better off putting a new engine in. I searched aroung and can get a used VTEC for 1650 or a GSR for 1750. My question is now that I'm going to need to do this what should I do. I dont want to spend more than 2500 or 3000 installed. Could I upgrade anything else while the engine is out? I found someone to install the motor for 400. If I went with the GSR motor and switched ECU's would it be much harder for the guy installing it to swap out ECU's? Please help. Someone.

Thank You, Matt

the only thing holding in the ecu is like 4 screws, well underneath the kick panel.

and if you can get a gsr for 1750 il take 2. and what motor is this used VTEC.... think you should do a little research, there is like a million motors by honda/acura that use vtec.

Last edited:
The only thing I know is the guy told me the GSR was more powerful because it was 1.8 vs. 1.6. I could call him back and asak the engine #. It will have to wait til tomorrow now.

$1600 sounds about right for a B16, which is what came stock in your Si. If you have the option of getting the GSR, get that instead. If you do choose the route of the B18C# then find out what year the donor car is. If someone can install the motor for $400, you can easily get a motor swap done for less than $3000.

If you're going to upgrade to the B18 and are looking for ideas while the motor is out, bigger brake booster will help it stop and it's easier while the motor is out. but that might be about it, everything else is fairly easy or unnecessary. Maybe a new stabilizer bar, I can't really think of much else.

If you're going to upgrade to the B18 and are looking for ideas while the motor is out, bigger brake booster will help it stop and it's easier while the motor is out. but that might be about it, everything else is fairly easy or unnecessary. Maybe a new stabilizer bar, I can't really think of much else.

where do some of thes post come from i think that all noobs post should have to be screened before being posted

check out www.hmotorsonline.com

you can get a long block there then pay the $400 to have installed. well below your $2500 limit.

What the hell man, the guy asked for any suggestions for parts to upgrade while the motor was out. If he's driving an Si then he already has a lot of good stuff on the car including rear disc brakes and a larger booster (from an ITR for example) will be an upgrade and because of the GSR intake manifold it's a lot easier with the motor out already. What's not true about that?

What the hell man, the guy asked for any suggestions for parts to upgrade while the motor was out. If he's driving an Si then he already has a lot of good stuff on the car including rear disc brakes and a larger booster (from an ITR for example) will be an upgrade and because of the GSR intake manifold it's a lot easier with the motor out already. What's not true about that?
:ufucktard:

how about upgrading things like the clutch or engine parts since the endine will be out of the car not the brake booster and a damn strut bar you fool

check out www.hmotorsonline.com

you can get a long block there then pay the $400 to have installed. well below your $2500 limit.

agreed. best option, unless you want to source a USDM one or look for one locally on craigslist.

Or you can go full on upgrade H2B kit! :D but that may bump you a bit higher.

also try to part out the old motor. the b16 head should yield some cash back depending on condition.

Last edited:
Upgrades and forum etiquette

:ufucktard:

how about upgrading things like the clutch or engine parts since the endine will be out of the car not the brake booster and a damn strut bar you fool

Well 97hatch.....

1: First off and foremost, aSSman has said that he does NOT want to spend more than 3K. The motor swap that "get_nick" recommended from www.hmotorsonline.com comes with a new clutch and decent engine already. Keeping in mind that the 3K budget is almost reached once you add shipping.

2: When some one asks for help on a forum, they wat ALL ideas answered. I agree that the brake booster is a good idea. Any one who builds 4lL60 transmissions should know that once you add more HP you need better brakes to slow down.

3: aSSman was asking for ideas for once the engine is out. This could include anything from fuses and relays to vacuum lines and weight reduction items.

4: If you are going to make comments and call people a Fu#$tard, why don't you keep that hot air inside, you'll need it to blow up your inflatable date.

Just remember, that people are looking for ideas and advice on these forums, not opinions from people with a credit card and have seen "The fast and the Furious" 15 times.

P.S. Notice that the words THESE and ENGINE are spelled correctly.:ufucktard:

Well Mr.1967temptest fighting over the internet is retarded so im all ready done with you.

Hmotors does not give you a new clutch with there engines

99-00 Civic Si comes with very adiquate brakes from the factory that will be great for any stock engine you put in that car.

Where do they keep the high performance fuses and relays at is it next to the blinker fluid?

By the way I have a 4L65E in a twin turbo C6 Z06 that has been converted to a automatic. This car runs 9.40s and 9.500s @150-165mph and still has the stock brakes. O yea its a full weight car.

I have only watched F&F one time.

I tend to pay cash for every thing i buy. Everything but my house. All my cars and parts are paid for.

And last of all who are you and why are you hiding behind a new user name like a coward. Did you allready get banned from one of your other user names. Maby this time B will block your MAC: ID

Last edited:
Back