need info on d16z6 swap into 96 civic dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drfloyd411

I recently had blown my 96 civic dx engine , swaped in 94 ex (d16z6) engine but i am running into all kinds of problems getting it running ?? what is involved in this swap ? i have bought a conversion harness for the ecu to hook up 94 ex computer ( which i was told would solve my problem ) but car is still not starting ??Do i need to change engine harness to 94 ?? It has been over six months without my car due to this problem ,at my wits end . If you can help please call (917) 416 2876 or e mail drfloyd411@aol.com

I think it might be that you have a P2E ECU and you probably need a P28 ECU...

its about 450 from a reputable site (ecudirect.com) and under 200 on ebay...maybe a 100 if you get it from a salvage yard...and there are a lot of 94 EXs in the yards.

Yes have a p28 computer , but not sure of harness on engine , might be a 96 harness or 94 is there a difference ? Also mechanic used my spark plug wires from old engine 96 dx would this make a difference ??

Originally posted by Drfloyd411@May 14 2005, 08:13 PM
Yes have a p28 computer , but not sure of harness on engine , might be a 96 harness or 94 is there a difference ? Also mechanic used my spark plug wires from old engine 96 dx would this make a difference ??
[post=499314]Quoted post[/post]​

yes the harness would matter...as with any conversion on wiring there might be a loss of information with a conversion in signal from OBD2 to 1. Now the wires...I dont think there would be too be of a problem as long as they are long enough that there is not strain on the line.

[Let me know if this makes sense My mechanic had car running with 96 comp hooked up ,was nt running good but was running had prob .. with it overheating etc. this is how i came to find out it was a 94 ex motor ( called dealer with vin # ) so can i change just the harness that is on the engine up to the firewall ?? or do i have to change that harness too ?? How would i know if engine harness is a 94 or 96 ??

look at the connector at the end of the harness...if it is OBD 2 then you have a 96 harness, if it is OBD 1 you have a 94 harness.

gallery_1_1_1104708869.jpg

yes it is definitely obd2 ,i have a harness from a 94 ex but is not complete only goes from engine fuel injectors etc .. to the firewall ??

Well youve basically surpassed my knowledge of electrical/computer stuff (with regards to cars) might wanna wait for tab or DOHC VTEC ACCORD to do that

No i dont want to go through this again , just want to get this car running so i can part my ways atleast get some of the money back i dropped into it . Need to know what has to be changed to do this swap >Do i need to change complete engine harness all the way to the comp ?? which i cannot find ,looked in junkyards , online , etc .. tried conversion harness this did not work either . when i hooked up conversion harness there is one clip from engine harness that plugs in but no wires are on the conversion side , then there is another space for a plug on conversion harness which my car does not have ?? Which on conversion harness has wires ?? My harness has three plugs and conversion has four slots for plugs , Starting from the left first plug has wires on both sides ,second plug has wires on both sides ,third plug has no wires on conversion side ,forth slot has wires on conversion side but no plug on existing harness ?? Please anyone who can help me please Email me at drfloyd411@aol.com or call (917)4162876 thanks

I think you might have gotten the wrong conversion harness then.

Your harness should look something like this:

weaponr_obd2.jpg

The top plugs into your harness, and the bottom plugs into your ECU.

Is that kinda what you have?

[yaa
see the space in between i have wires that plug there , and the wires on the one side have no plug to it . my three plus are all in a row

OOOH you have an OBD-2b harness...you need to see if you can return it to get the correct conversion that looks somewhat like this

skunk2_harness.jpg

if you cant return it try selling it on Ebay and buying the right one at Racing Works

its 188 dollars and make sure to buy the one for the 96-98 Civic

[yes i think you are right , the one i have is a skunk 2 , they said they have another one if that s not it . i have 201-05-0120 other one is 201 05 0130

cool, try that, and keep us (me) up to date

(oh and psst, you posted in the wrong forum, this needs to go up a spot to the EG-EK and DC forum)

This is in the wrong forum.

Moved.........

i have a 96 hatch dx. i blew my dx motor also.
i picked up a healthy d16z6 for 250.00
and i did the swap myself. i run 14.8 at the trak with the help of a lot of bolt ons and internal work
you can use ur stock ecu and ur stock wiring harness.
there are a couple of specific things u need to do to get the engine runnig
1) you need to wire up all the stock intake manifold wires from the car to the correct wiring inputs on on the intake manifold.
2) you need to use the d16z distributer mount but replace the internals with ur original distributer to keep the correct connector for the harness.
3) there are going to be some conecters frob ur obd2 harness that can not be connected due to the obd1 engine having less diagnostics to check. probably about 2 or 3 of them also u wont be able to hook up ur crank shaft sensor from obd2 harness to ur d16z6 because the d16z6 doesnt have one.
besides that it all bolt in and plug in

enjun ek4

Unbolt the intake manifold off the old, blown motor, get a OBD II EX distributor bolt it to the d16z6, plug you current engine bay harness into the intake manifold and distributor, ditch the conversion harness and get a 96-00 P2P from a 96-00 EX, wire vtec, problem solved.

Back