Need some opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

well, while i was back in north carolina i bought a new acoustic guitar. Its an Alvarez RD8 sunburst. so far i like it and it sounds better than the other guitar i have. i paid like $220 with the hard case, Elixirs on it, and got some picks and an electric tuner thrown in. So i was just wondering if any of you guys have played one of these guitars or have any opinions on Alvarez in general.

also i was wondering why it has a plce to adjust the neck. i'm not sure if you adjust the tension or what, but it came with an allen wrench and there is a place for it right inside the guitar. does anyone know what that is?

The only commercial guitars I like, I can't afford...so I built my own :)

Alvarez aren't bad, just not great, I'd stick them in with older Ibanez, and BC Richs, sorta right inbetween Harmony and Fender.

:withstupid:

jimi could make a $50 walmart special sound good. lol

the allen key could be one of two things... 1, blanco touched on.
the other, could be a locking tremolo.
some guitars with a wammy bar have a locking nut to keep the strings from getting out of tune.

lpsebonyh.jpg

under this little bellshaped cover is the truss rod adjustment.

and for the locking trem- notice the 3 allen keys on the nut

DK2FS_Dinky_Firestorm_md.jpg

Originally posted by senate_9427@Jul 5 2005, 03:16 PM
acoustic guitar
[post=520992]Quoted post[/post]​

The locking tremolo would make sense except that he's got an accoustic. To my knowledge only electric rigs have wammy bars and therefore, locking trems.

okay so i read up on the truss rods a little. now i need to know how to go about adjusting it, becasue when i play, the strings hit the frets and make a buzzing noise. so don't i need to tighten the truss rod to make that sound go away?

I believe you have to loosen it, but I'm not 100% sure of that. As for alvarez, I'd only but it if it were a Yairi model. They are super nice, 100% indivually hand built. They play very nice. I'm not the best guitarist, but I know when a guitar feels comfortable and sounds good. They get my :thumbsup:

bring it to a shop. IF you screw with the truss rod the wrong way, you can bend the neck and there goes your guitar.

straight up- you will ALWAYS have buzzes on a cheap guitar. if not one place, def after the 12th fret on the low strings. they just aren't amde as good

sorry about the accoustic part-- i missed that.

Have a shop look at it, buzzing can be from a slightly bent neck or a worn fret, if your neck is straight, and the problem is a worn fret, you don't want to go adjusting it. Cheap guitars use crappy wood, warpage is almost garanteed over the years.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 6 2005, 08:48 AM
Have a shop look at it, buzzing can be from a slightly bent neck or a worn fret, if your neck is straight, and the problem is a worn fret, you don't want to go adjusting it. Cheap guitars use crappy wood, warpage is almost garanteed over the years.
[post=521446]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: it was like 25$ when I had my neck adjusted. 1976 Guild D-405 baby
Old School Guild Rocks

Back